Assumptions by TashaBlackWidow

Assumptions

TashaBlackWidow

Summary:

"They're sleeping together," Tony decided loudly one morning, as his hangover saw him eaten cereal that Steve passed him in last nights shirt, his boxers and his sunglasses.

Work Text:

"They're sleeping together," Tony decided loudly one morning, as his hangover saw him eaten cereal that Steve passed him in last nights shirt, his boxers and his sunglasses.

Steve, fully dressed and immaculate as always, shook his head. "You can't assume that just because they're close."

Tony looked at him over the top of the sunglasses. "Seriously, you're going to look at those two and go with the 'just friends' option?"

"What he means," Bruce adds from where he's reading a newspaper further along the table, "is that if they are sleeping together it's none of our business."

Thor, halfway through his third box of poptarts - he may not suffer hangovers but they've noticed he eats more after drinking sessions - agrees with surprisingly calm addition. "If they are romantically involved, they seem to have a reason not to share that information with us."

"Romantically involved?" Tony scoffed.

Steve looked at him. "You just said they were sleeping together."

"Yeah, but you don't need romance for that!" Tony laughed. "I'm saying that Barton probably gets thrown around the room after a hard days work, not that he gives her flowers and chocolates just because he thinks she's the one."

Steve rolled his eyes and sat down opposite Tony with his own cereal. "Just because you frown on the flowers, doesn't mean everyone else does."

Tony looked at him strangely. "I don't frown at flowers. I bought Pepper flowers hundreds of times."

"And how many of those times were to apologise for something?" Bruce challenged, to which Thor gave a hearty laugh.

"Look," Tony said, ignoring the question. "Haven't you noticed that they're always up later than us on downdays?"

The other three men look at each other. "Natasha and Clinton have been Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D for sometime, yes?" Thor asked, looking for clarification and finding it in Bruce's nod. "I found in Asgard that more experienced soldiers in our ranks had a healthier appreciation for the days they were not on duty. It was the more inexperienced soldiers that filled their off-duty days with additional training to prove themselves. Perhaps after their years of service they are merely reaping the benefits of being away from work."

The others all looked at each other again, and Steve and Bruce nodded along with the idea that Natasha and Clint were enjoying their lie in. "They do train hard to keep up," Steve noted. "Their weapons work is entirely skill based and sometimes you do forget that they don't have the enhancements that we do."

"Bullshit," Tony scoffed. "I guarantee that right now, they're in the same room, throwing each other around the room to decide which one gets to be on top."

"On top of who?" Clint asks, as he takes that opportunity to walk into the room and head for the coffee machine. Tony almost choked on the mouthful of cereal but Clint didn't notice as he came walked straight past them and took out two mugs.

Tony looked at the others, indicating this fact and mouthing the words 'two mugs?' to the others. They glared at him, but he started turning to Clint who was now rummaging through the cupboards to look for coffee.

"Needing the extra caffiene this morning?" Tony asked, with all the innocence of the devil himself.

"Not both for me," he shrugged, scratching the back of his head with a yawn.