Chapter Five

Brooke:

“Get up, lazy bones,” Tamara sang, shaking Brooke awake early on Sunday morning.

            “Why?” Brooke grumbled. “Only two more days of sleeping in left.”

            “We’re going to church,” Tamara said.

            Brooke bolted upright. “Are you kidding? Why are we going to church?”

            “This is a small town, and it wouldn’t look right if we didn’t go.”

            “We’re going to church so the neighbors won’t think we’re a family of devil worshipers or something?”

            Tamara sighed. “Just get up and get dressed.”

            Though she did what she was told, Brooke wasn’t thrilled to be giving up a day to sleep in just so her mother didn’t lose face with the neighbors. She was even less excited when the three of them walked into the church an hour later, and she saw her mother was right. The whole town was there.

It was official. She’d probably lost every Sunday of sleeping in for the rest of her life. She felt a small amount of relief when she spotted a smiling Bethany Lewis heading their way.

            “Hey, Brooke. Come sit with me,” Bethany said, grabbing Brooke’s hand and dragging her away from her parents before they could object. “This is so great. We’ll be in the same Sunday school class.”

            Brooke tried not to scowl at her. “Yeah.” 

            “Are you okay?” Bethany asked.

            Brooke cast a hasty glance around before answering. “We never went to church back home.”

            “Don’t worry. It’s really fun,” Bethany said. “Plus, you’ll be in the same Sunday school class with me and Tanner and Kenny.”

            The moment Bethany and Brooke reached the aisle where Tanner already sat, his face lit up. Brooke didn’t even have time to say hello to him before Bethany hurried off again.

            “I’m glad you’re here,” Tanner said. “Now this won’t be so bad.”

            “You don’t like church?” Brooke teased.

            “Not really,” Tanner admitted. “It’s just an excuse for everyone to get together and gossip. I wouldn’t come if Aunt Shell and Uncle Jared didn’t make me.”

            “We never went to church in California,” Brooke said. “The only reason we’re even here today is because my mom is afraid of looking bad if we don’t go. We’re not even religious.”

            “Guess that’s something else we have in common,” Tanner said.

            “I hope you guys aren’t making out in church,” Kenny joked as he came to sit beside Tanner.

            Before either of them could respond, Bethany appeared at the edge of the aisle. “Make room for me.”

            As Brooke scooted over, her leg brushed against Tanner’s. When he pulled away, she turned to frown at him and he dropped his eyes. Brooke didn’t have time to ponder his reaction because she suddenly heard the pastor introducing her parents to the congregation.

            “And where is that lovely daughter of yours?” Pastor Bartlett said into the microphone, and Brooke’s face grew hot. “Come on and stand up, little lady. You can’t hide from us.”