Chapter Nine

Brooke:

In spite of what she’d told Jen, Brooke wasn’t excited about going to the homecoming dance. She even considered calling Jimmy and giving him some excuse about why she couldn’t go, but she wasn’t about to give Tanner or Bethany or anyone else the satisfaction of thinking they’d gotten to her. Instead, she made sure to look her best on Saturday night, knowing it would get back to Tanner.

Then he’ll be sorry he dumped me! Brooke thought.

Smiling at the thought, she emerged from her room. Her mother sat in the family room reading a book.

“How do I look?” Brooke asked.

Tamara looked up from her book and gave her a wide smile. “You look beautiful. I just don’t understand why your date can’t pick you up.”

“Because I’m driving.”

“And why is that?” 

“I do have the perfect car for a night out.”

“That’s true. Maybe it is better that you drive.”

Brooke frowned at her mother’s abrupt change of heart. “What?”

“If you’re driving, and he tries anything, you can kick him out of the car and leave him in the dust,” Tamara explained with a laugh.

Brooke laughed too. “I’m sure he’ll be a perfect gentleman, but if he isn’t I’ll be sure he eats my dust.”

Tamara snapped a picture of Brooke before she shoved the camera at her. “Take lots of pictures of this perfect gentleman.”

“I will,” Brooke promised as she leaned in to give her mother a kiss and hug.

“Don’t be out too late,” Tamara called after her.

“I won’t,” Brooke said and flashed her mother a smile before she closed the door.

Standing alone on her front steps, Brooke squared her shoulders and took a deep breath. Jimmy Cavanaugh may not have been the date she wanted, but going with him was still better than not going at all.

Tanner:

As usual, Tanner was spending another Saturday night alone. There was nothing usual about this night though. Tonight was the homecoming dance, and Brooke would be there with Jimmy. Even after having a week to get used to the idea, it still didn’t sit right with him.

“Get dressed,” Kenny ordered as he barged into the room.  

“I am dressed,” Tanner said, frowning as he spoke.

“Then get dressed up,” Kenny said.

Tanner’s frown deepened. “Why?”

“We’re going to the homecoming dance,” Kenny explained.

“I thought you already had a date,” Tanner laughed.

“That’s not what I mean,” Kenny said and grinned at him. “Just get dressed, and come to the dance with me.”

“What for?”

“You know what for. So you can tell Brooke you’re sorry and get her back.”

“No way.”

“Okay, then come so you can keep an eye on her.” 

“What?”

“You know how Jimmy is. If you’re at the dance watching then you can make sure he doesn’t try anything with her.”