TWO: Rainy Days and Mondays

This chapter is a hefty one. Mostly because I know I won't be able to update until next week. I have a lot of backlog where my acads is concerned. Alam nyo naman, bawal mangopya sa law school (sana dito din!)

Also, thanks Madam Tita Maricris for the cover...ayan na ang 2 mins of glory mo. CHAR. and thank you to my talented queen Ally. I love you 💙💙

Anyway, enjoy! 

______________________

TWO

'Rainy days and Mondays'

Monday morning was ushered in by a torrential downpour. The grey skies opened and gave way to heavy rains that didn't seem to be letting up anytime soon. The sound of the raindrops pattering against the slated roof was loud but it was rhythmic and soothing, making Carmen feel more drowsy even when the first hours of the morning had begun to creep in. She pulled her duvet up and over her head, burrowing deeper into the covers and relishing in the warmth.

'It would be nice to snuggle with someone in this weather,' she thought but ixnayed the notion as soon as it came. She couldn't and shouldn't go around thinking of things that didn't seem possible anymore.

Sighing, she rolled over and flopped on her back, lying on her bed spread-eagle. It was highly unlikely that she would be able to go back to sleep; and even if it was possible, she knew that she shouldn't. Come sun, come rain, the Café must open today. It was bound to be a hectic Monday, and unless there was a typhoon (or any other natural disaster), there was really no reason to not open.

Her mind, body, and soul protested the idea of having to leave her warm and cozy bed but her work awaits, and so with a long groan, she reluctantly opened her eyes and crawled out of bed. She rubbed her palm on her face, trying to rub the sleepiness away, and padded softly to the ensuite bathroom (something she had insisted to be installed in this house) to take her shower and to start her day in earnest.

By the time she's done and ready to leave the house, the heavy rains were reduced to a lighter outpour, to which Carmen was grateful. She had a car she could drive to get to work, though she felt that it was such a waste, considering she lived but a block away, so she didn't want to drive it unless she really had a reason to (and that reason was almost exclusively just bad weather).

Grateful, at least, for a bit of reprieve, she pulled on her cardigan tighter around her body and, with her umbrella over her head, began walking down the familiar road to the coffee shop. She had walked this same old path a million times, still it felt different each and every time. Different but the same.

"Walkin' around, Some kind of lonely clown, Rainy days and Mondays always get me down," she sang softly, only for herself to hear, and then shaking her head at the absurdity of her thoughts. Rainy days and Mondays did that to her -- brought melancholy and introspection around.

Her morning staff, Beth and Sophie, were already there, cleaning and setting up, when she arrived. She greeted them both cordially before making her way to the coffee machine and making cups of coffee for herself and her staff -- the perks of owning your own Café.

"Drink some coffee muna, before it gets cold," she said, gesturing towards the counter where she'd placed their drinks.

"Thank you, Ms. Carmen," Sophie said, smiling, as she swept the floor. They were bound to open in a few minutes.

"Thanks, Ma'am Carmen. Nag-lagay na po ako ng first batch of cookies nyo sa oven," Beth said as she wiped the counter.

Carmen smiled in appreciation. That was what Carmen loved about her staff. They were capable and had initiative -- she must have taught them well. They never complained either, but Carmen also made sure that they didn't have anything to complain about.