0.15

november 4, 1996

In Potions, Slughorn had already begun chatting about an exclusive Christmas party. Harry and Hermione, and the rest of what Professor Slughorn called his "Slug Club," were expected to intend. Ron whispered a shotty remark about a lack of invitation, but Hermione's eyes were busy scanning the class room. The young witch couldn't help but notice that the class, which was rather small and included only a dozen students, was missing one Slytherin. 

"Now that we've got that covered!" Professor Slughorn hummed cheerfully, adjusting his robes around his neck as he gestured to the cauldrons in front of him. "On to today's lesson!" 

Behind the professor, the dungeoness door opened abruptly. Blonde hair and Slytherin robes stood, rather awkwardly, in the door frame, as if he was waiting to be invited in. 

"Ah, Mister Malfoy. Glad that you have decided to join us today..." Slughorn muttered. He glanced at Draco, for only a split second, before he averted his eyes anxiously. Hermione had noticed that her professor was not keen for Draco– or any of the other Slytherin's in his class.  

Draco pulled himself out of his discomfort, standing taller and giving his classmates a stern face. His cheeks held a light blush which told Hermione that, what ever he had been doing, he was in a rush. Her eyes followed his movement as he stepped into the classroom. His strides were long and arrogant as he walked across the room, capturing all of Hermione's attention. He walked passed the Gryffindors, his eyes forward the whole time, making no observation of Hermione. 

She felt her jaw clench. His crisp, expensive hair gel filled her nose as she bit the inside of her cheek, cursing him for being so maddening. She balled her hands into fists, then, cursing herself for being so drawn to that egotistical prejudice little –

"Right then. Today we are learning about Golpalott's Third Law. Can anyone-" Hermione's hand was in the air before Slughorn could finish his request. He let out a short giddy laugh before cheering, "Yes! Miss Granger!"

Hermione cleared her throat, hoping that sharing her knowledge would somehow lessen her anger. "Golpalott's Third Law states that the antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components. That is to say-" Hermione stopped, her ear picking up laughter from the other end of the room. 

"Does she ever stop?" A girls voice said in a harsh whisper, intentionally loud enough to be a muffled shout. Slytherins laughed at Pansy's remark, sniggering to each other. 

Hermione pretended not to hear as she explained. "The antidote for a poison created by mixing several other poisons together cannot simply be created by finding and mixing the antidotes to each separate poison." 

"Well done, Miss Granger!" Professor Slughorn's praise was drowned by the sound of Pansy's voice as she mumbled something new to Malfoy and Blaise. Malfoy's simpering laugh pierced into Hermione's ears as he joined Pansy. 

Hermione turned on her heal, facing the Slytherins from across the room. 

Pansy's eyes were on her in an instant, as if she had been waiting for Hermione to make the next move. Her sour laugh, which was louder now, filled the classroom. Pansy draped a hand over Malfoy's shoulder, nudging him so he was facing Hermione too. The black haired girl made her eyes go wide with a look of false fear. 

"Careful boys...." She cooed, her eyes locked on Hermione's reddening face, "She might just talk us to death. Maybe even do a little reading." Pansy jeered, her hand still pressed against Malfoy, whose lips we turned in a grin and eyes were staring at Hermione as if he was enjoying her embarrassment.