11. What Do We Have Here?

We drank, we ate and we talked. All through the night we shared our tales. I didn't even notice the shift change. Thankfully the Big Rock Inn, being a dwarven establishment, was open day and night; food and drink always readily available.

After we had told Lestergrad how we managed to free ourselves from what he called the Nether, he then told his tale his tale of how he survived such a great fall.

"Just after the flamenags took to the air, one of my clan sensed my presence and also sensed what my mount actually was. He cast a spell onto the flamenag, killing it instantly, it caught me by surprise."

"The shock was evident on your face," said Torq. 

"I think that was intentional," replied Lestergrad. "As soon as I passed through the clouds, my clansmen cast another spell, this time on me, and I gently floated to the ground."

"A feather-light spell. I have seen it used a number of times," I said. The name I gave for the spell didn't feel right; I'd have to work on it.

"Indeed." Lestergrad looked at me with a question on his lips, but never voiced that question. 

"So you survived the ordeal without harm?" asked Torq. 

"Yes, but even so, my clansmen was none too pleased with me. He had a few choice words to say about my deceased mount and Renkle. However, he was also very helpful."

"At first he wanted to know why I was riding such a foul beast. And then he wanted to know what I carried in my pack. When he saw it was the 'Horn of Raduel' he was very concerned. He also confirmed another name for it as 'The Herald of Naming', which is often shortened to simply 'The Herald'. This item," at that point Lestergrad placed the Herald on the table before us, "can reveal the true name of any creature, living, dead or undead. If this were to fall into the hands of a demon, such as Renkle, he could rule over, or even dominate, any being; whether they be evil or good."

My face must have blanched as my eyes widened. Lestergrad nodded at me confirming my thoughts without having to say a word. 

"Exactly my friend," he said to me. "Not only could this confirm, or deny, who our friend Torq here is, but it could also remove his free will. What if this item were to fall into the hands of someone with ill intent, or worse a demon?"

"We need to make sure Renkle never sees this item," Torq said. "We need to seek the help of the divine of this city."

"Before we do that," said Lestergrad, "we need a good, long chat with our friend here." He then turned to face me in particular.

There was no malice in his tone or expression. If I were pressed to say what it was I could see in Lestergrad's face, I'd probably have gone for awe. 

"What?" I asked, trying to hide my fear and also remove any defensive tone to my voice. I was concerned where the conversation was heading. My voice quavered a little as I spoke.

"You're not a wizard, are you?" he asked.

"No-"

"Don't say anything else," Lestergrad said. There was a warning in his tone, but I naively carried on.

"-I'm not sure why I can wield magic. I just can," My voice trailed off as I spoke. Lestergrad leant in close to me and Torq, and was looking around to see who may have been listening.

"I do not wish to see you harmed. You need be quiet on where your magic abilities are from." Again he stopped, and he dropped the volume of his voice even lower. Almost a whisper. "You may be a sorcerer."

"What?!" Torq almost shouted.

"Quiet, he'll be lynched for sure if word got out," said Lestergrad.

"There hasn't been one of those," Torq spat, "around here for a century or more. Not since the execution of Erannus."

I'd never heard of Erannus, I assumed Erannus to be male but no idea of which race. I also did not know why Erannus was executed.

"Precisely. If we want our friend Warryn here to keep breathing, we keep it to ourselves. Understand?" Lestergrad's face was firm and his eyes were flashing a warning. Torq looked from Lestergrad and then to me and nodded. Now they were both looking at me and expecting a response. I nodded quickly, but my expression must have shown true fear.

"You are our friend. You have saved my life, and shown nothing but kindness and friendship to myself and Lestergrad," said Torq. He took a firm hold of my shoulder and shook it gently. His expression was warm and friendly.

"As you have protected us, we will defend you," said Lestergrad.