23. The Stick of the Goblin King

The dwarves gave us directions and instructions on how to find the Xenuth Star domain. I had asked who these people were but the old dwarf said that we would need to see that for ourselves. They are a people that 'none can describe', as he'd put it.

The entrance to the domain the Xenuth Star was a large wooden door with a complex pattern carved into it. It was clear that these people were of a magical persuasion, the pattern in the door constantly changed and morphed into a new design. I'd never seen anything like it. Reaching out and touching the door did not reveal how this was possible. The door was solid wood, probably oak, and the pattern was definitely carved into it. But it moved and changed. This was powerful magic.

Looking carefully, there was no handle or lock. However the door was indeed locked.

"A magical lock?" said Bostik.

"That would be my guess," I replied.

"Maybe a donation of power would be the key."

"Very possibly. Shall we both donate?"

Bostik nodded and closed his eyes. A moment later, a flicker of light appeared in the palm of his hand. Hesitantly, the small ball of blue light lifted from his hand and floated gently towards the door and then sat there as if waiting. I repeated the action, the best way I knew how at least.

My orange, almost red, ball of light floated to join Bostik's. The light balls merged to become a light brown colour, which then became a vibrant white. The light so bright I could not directly look at it. At first I was afraid that my magic, coming from within me as it does, was fighting against Bostik's.

Bostik opened his eyes with surprise and looked directly at me. "Gransta, do not reveal yourself to these dwelling within. I fear for you." He said this quietly so no one else could hear, it was clear he knew something about my magic. And then he smiled and gestured for me to copy his movements.

We both raised the palms of our hands towards the door and pushed out, as if pushing an invisible force. Our combined light moved towards the door and was absorbed by the wooden carving. The fluid carving momentarily stopped and flared with the same bright white light.

As the light faded the door began to split down the middle. A clear line could be seen making its way from the top to the bottom. When the line was complete, the heavy wooden doors, it was clear now this was a set of double doors, slowly and silently swung towards us. We all had to beat a hasty retreat as the doors approached.

With doors now open we could see the cave inside. The walls were studded with all manner of gemstones. There were dancing lights here and there with no obvious source or fuel. I felt there should have also been music playing, with all the gems and the lights twinkling, but it was silent.

As we entered a long, central passageway we could see several smaller caves off to each side, some of these were no bigger than an alcove really. With no one to be seen inside, we peered in a couple of these side caves as we walked along. Each of them contained artifacts on pedestals or in wooden cases.

"Sneaky, you'd best leave everything alone in here," I said. 

He was about to protest and then looked around and nodded. "Sneaky knows when it not good idea," he replied.

Iggy, by contrast was touching and, in some cases, picking up items. Once or twice a burst of magic flared when he did this, but he just placed it back down and moved on. The magical trap, having been triggered, having no effect on him. 

"I've found it!" shouted an excited Bostik. "This is the Stick of the Goblin King. This is the stick of my forefathers."

He was about to pick it up when a flash of light burst into the side cave in which we all now stood. We all had to cover our eyes at the intense light.

When the light faded a strange creature, the like I'd never seen before, stood in the room with us. Its almost purple grey skin was not the most surprising feature. It stood clearly a foot above our tallest member, Ix, at around eight or possibly nine feet tall. With its four arms crossed neatly across its chest and the creatures spider-like eyes staring at us all. I truly felt terrified.

Although the creature made no aggressive moves or gestures, I was on edge awaiting for it to attack. We'd invaded its domain and there was no way to predict how it would react.

Bostik was the first to action. "This is the stick of power of my people. How did you come by this?"

The creature made no moves other than to spread its four arms skyward like branches of a tree.

"It was a gift in trade."

The sounds of these words didn't emanate from a mouth. It was then that I realised that the creature before us had no mouth. Instead the words were put straight into my head like a hammer nailing a piece of wood. These Xenuth Star people communicated by speaking with their minds. It didn't hurt, but it wasn't a pleasant method of communication.

"Trade?" I ventured. "Would you be willing to trade for the item?"

"What have you to trade?" was the reply in my mind. I winced slightly at hearing these words. The creature then pointed to Iggy.

"Oh, no he's my friend. He's not for trading."

"I believe it would need to something magical," said Bostik.

Immediately I thought of the fire sword. As soon as the thought of the sword entered my mind the Xenuth Star creature snapped his gaze to me and looked deeply into my eyes.

"I take that is a yes then," I said.

The Xenuth Star creature held out his two left arms.

My companions looked at me confused as I reached for my sword. Holding it by both hands, one on the hilt and the other on the blade, I offered it up to the waiting arms.

The creature examined the sword carefully. A moment later the creature gestured with his two right arms that we should take the Stick of the Goblin King.

"Bostik please take the stick," I said. "I've traded my sword for it."

Bostik took the sceptre and hefted it a couple of times. The Xenuth Star creature then pointed with his two right arms towards the door.

"Time to leave. We're no longer welcome, boys," said Lestergrad.

Indeed the expressionless face of the Xenuth Star creature looked sterner than before.

I bowed and started to walk away backwards and cautiously. Everyone followed my lead, the awkward bow from Ix almost made me laugh out loud. But I stifled it, I suspect that laughing would not have been taken well by our host.

We exited the Xenuth Star domain without issue. The magical door opened as we approached, no donation necessary.

Outside the cave complex the night air felt fresh. There were no clouds and the stars were clear as crystals, sparkling in the light of the full moons. 

It felt very good to have helped my friends the goblins once more. 

"Time for us to part, Gransta," said Bostik.

"I hope we meet again," I truly meant what I said and I held out a hand of friendship. Bostik took my hand and shook it with a firm grip.

”Stay safe my friend,” he said.

We all said or goodbyes and went our separate ways. The goblins went to find Gobbo so that he could make his claim as the Goblin King and take his throne, and his people.

We went south again, to Grennis. Our destination was to claim Torq's inheritance.

Chronicles of a So-called Fire God (Abridged)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें