Chapter 5

Mapleshade pressed herself against the two-leg fence, trying to contain any fear scent. Her ears pricked as she heard the heavy sound of running paw against gravel. "Are you sure you saw Mapleshade?", came Deerapple's voice, one of her former clanmates. The high-pitched bright voice of Nettlepaw replied, "I sure of it. I saw ginger and white tail.".

The sun crept forever closer to the horizon, sunset quickly approving. She was a young and healthy warrior, still in her prime, the journey to the Barn should have been quick. But Appledusk's vague directions to it hadn't proved useful at all. Now having to rely on her family's trail scent alone. At least she knew they had made it past the Thunderclan border without much trouble. Patrolling around the twoleg place had never been that good anyway. But despite that, here she was, being hunted down like helpless prey.

Deerdapple spoke again, "Does that mean the kits could be around here?". You wished. Mapleshade listened in carefully, holding her breath. A low rumble came from beyond the safety of fence, as a cat was growling to themselves, "Do you really think Oakstar did the right thing in exiling them? Frecklewish mentioned a flood almost drowned them the same night. That must be an omen of Starclan's disapproval.".

It felt like a mountain of boulders had collapsed on top of her. Out of every Thunderclan warrior, she could've encountered, it had to be him. Her traitorous mentor who supported her exile within a heartbeat. How could their moons of training together be so meaningless to him? Bloomheart was a father and mate himself, he should have understood! But of course he didn't, she thought cynically. She'd been too naive to admit it, but the moment she got pregnant with half-clan kits, she had a hidden fear of her former mentor. Bloomheart was always amongst those foxhearted Clan purists.

Quiet rustling came from the other side of the wooden sheet, as Deerdapple teared up grass from under her paws. "Leave those poor kits alone, Bloomheart. They've already been exiled, there's nothing left to do.", Deerdapple huffed. Mapleshade imagined the two Thunderclan warriors circling each other, tails spiking as tension grew.

"I just being wary - They're free to do whatever they like beyond our borders. Oakstar told them to leave one time - How can we be sure that's enough? ", Bloomheart argued, "Those Half-Clan kits are being raised by Appledusk, the same cat who killed my daughter, Flowerpaw. How can be guarantee our kits safety with those revengeful rogues around?"

Despite how much Mapleshade wanted to spring out and shout at Bloomheart, she used the squabbling to slip away. Mapleshade looked around at the small garden that surrounded her. Mouse-dang! She'd trapped herself. The whole patch of bright grass was closed-in by fences or red walls. The only way out was the way she came in, scaling the fence. She dug her claws deep into the bark, bending her back legs, preparing to make the leap. She licked her lips nervously, she had make this quick.

"Enough!", came Deerdapple's voice once more, "Oakstar only wants the kits in exile but nothing else. If you lay a claw on them, you will be reported.", the she-cat sternly warned. Mapleshade laid a single paw onto the fence, each heartbeat dragging on painfully slowly. From the other side of the fence the quarrel continued with Bloomheart rudely snorting, "You do that. I don't care. Let's just back to findi-". Mapleshade saw their shocked faces as she came into view ontop of the fence. The whole thing shook under her weight.

Instinctively, Nettlepaw scaled the fence to be at Mapleshade's level, his voice shaky, "What are you doing her-". Before he could finish, Mapleshade raked her claws hard across his jaw, sending him tumbling through the air. He landed awkwardly on his ground, groaning with pain. Even if he was an apprentice, he wouldn't stand in the way of the Queen and her kits. While Deerdappled rushed to Nettlepaw's side, while Bloomheart focused on Mapleshade, "That's my son, you foxheart!".