Chapter 19: Coffee

Summer was rough. I sent Malfoy two letters that didn't get responses back. The first was stupid, just asking how his summer was going and how I could use a friend. The second was desperate to know if he was okay, if we could talk, or met for coffee.

I was frustrated and emotional, I'd cry for days and then stomp around hitting walls. I didn't have Sirius to talk to anymore. The Twins were so busy with the joke shop that we didn't see each other as often. But Tonks became my confidant.

She expressed how it was normal to need time to heal, but that it was also normal to want to love again. She also explained to me that Cedric, and his parents, who I visited once that summer, would not be mad if I found another person to be with. That that did not mean I loved or forgot about Ced. It is just a normal part of life. I knew after that conversation that she was right, Ced would want me to move on and find happiness again.

I was sitting outside in the garden when an owl dropped a letter in my lap.

"Meet me at 8 p.m. sharp. Coffee Bean Emporium. -D"

I shot up and ran inside to get dressed. I told Tonks and the others that I needed to go out and would be back soon.

"Don't get into any trouble," Tonks warned.

"I won't!" I shouted back as I slammed the door.

***

I picked out a table facing the door, and nervously sipped the cocoa I had ordered. I kept staring out the window, waiting to see him walk up. Instead, an older, white haired, peacock looking man sauntered in and sat at my table. I knew who he was: Lucious Malfoy, Draco's father.

"Artemis Bryant I presume," he said curtly.

I swallowed, "Yes, Mr. Malfoy."

"Good you already know my name. Let's chat."

I started picking at my shirt as Mr. Malfoy looked at my disapprovingly.

"I know who you are, and what you are, Mudblood. I don't know why you think you can send letters to my son, but he is not to deal with the likes of you in such a friendly manner. Do you understand?" It was like he stared straight into my soul.

"Yes sir," I replied looking down. How could I be so foolish to think Draco Malfoy could ever be my friend?

"Good. And just know, the Dark Lord has eyes everywhere. We will know if you try to talk to him. And there will be consequences."

He left and I sat there defeated. Feeling my heart become heavier with the passing time, I headed back.

***

Tonks and Lupin tried to talk to me, but I wouldn't listen. I just wanted to be alone for the last two weeks before school started. They respected that. The Twins, not so much.

"You don't need him, Art."
"Yea he's an ass."

They even wanted to give me a love potion, but I declined. I did take some of their special candies though, for the train ride back.

***

The Diggory's sent me off to school again. I needed that. They became like my own personal cheer team, and Mrs. Diggory even made me a case of pumpkin pasties! They also give the best hugs as I left for the train.

I got on hoping I would be able to catch Malfoy and talk to him.