Rip Off the Band-Aid

Jungwoo ran. As best as he could without slipping on the pavement at least. It was dark, raining, and he had gotten discombobulated on his way to the one place he knew was safe.

Limitless Cafe.

He was only able to find his way there once he found himself in a familiar alley, Yuta's old alley. Just like the others, he knew where the spare key was to the back door and he let himself in, shivering from the sudden change in temperature.

The thought of waking those who were probably already asleep kept him from going to the basement, so he curled up behind the cafe counter where he couldn't be seen by late night wanderers. He would've already been asleep in the basement with the others, but he had decided to head home tonight to grab a few things he needed and say hi to his parents.

What could have happened continuously ran through Jungwoo's mind as he shivered on the floor, leaning his head back against the cupboard. A few tears slipped from his eyes and ran down his face, mixing with the rain water that still clung to him. 

"Who's there? We have an attack dolphin and I won't hesitate to blast your eardrums with him." Haechan whispered, peeking out of the basement.

Jungwoo quickly swiped at his tears and sat up, leaning forward so Haechan would be able to see him. "It's just me."

"What are you doing? I thought you went home."

"I did."

"Then why-"

"He almost found out."

"What?" Haechan stepped off the stairs and shut the door behind him, sitting down in front of Jungwoo.

"The landlord. He was at the apartment when I went inside."

Haechan frowned. "What'd he say?"

"Nothing. My Dad threatened to call the police for breaking and entering. They both pretended they didn't know me." Jungwoo started crying again, Haechan skootching closer to him to give him a hug.

"They were just pretending. I'm sure they didn't mean it."

"It felt too real."

The two of them sat on the floor for a while, Haechan not really knowing what to do other than hug him.

"You should probably change into dry clothes. Here." Haechan carefully put his sunglasses on Jungwoo so he wouldn't have to explain anything tonight and helped him up from the floor.

"But we're going to wake them."

"That would mean they're sleeping." Haechan tugged him closer to the basement and led him down the stairs, trying to be as nonchalant as possible.

"False alarm, not a burglar trying to steal our socks. Jungwoo just decided to come back because it's raining pretty hard." 

The cover story worked for a few minutes while Jaehyun tossed Jungwoo some dry pajamas, but the fact that Jungwoo was wearing Haechan's sunglasses was sketchy.

"Sungchan was just showing us how he can sound like a dog. Do it again." Johnny suggested, and Sungchan started whimpering on command.

Except Jungwoo knew that wasn't a convincing dog whimper. He'd perfected it years ago. Along with a multitude of other things, just for his parents to pretend he was a delinquent child.

Haechan quickly shook his head to try and tell them now was not the time for that, but Jungwoo's shoulders were already shaking as he tried to hold back his tears that were trying to escape for a third time that night.

"Woo? What's wrong?" Taeyong asked gently.

"Nothing."

Lucas threatened to write his name on the whiteboard so he would have to talk the next serious night as Doyoung got up and gently tugged Jungwoo to his bed to sit down. Taeyong appeared on the other side of Jungwoo, forming a protective and motherly sandwich.

"Can Haechan say it for me?" He whispered, keeping his head low.

"Why does Haechan already know?" Jeno asked bitterly, earning him a smack on the back of his head from WinWin.

"Sure, Haechan can talk for you."

So all eyes turned to Haechan as he explained what he knew, which wasn't the entire story, but it was an explanation nonetheless. He just didn't have all the details Jungwoo would've.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to upset you." Sungchan apologized as soon as Haechan finished, suddenly feeling like he should head home instead of pretending he was spending all night studying at the library.

"You're fine." Jungwoo opened his arms for the younger for a hug which everyone joined in on. It looked more like a pile of humans than a group hug, but it served it's purpose.

Jungwoo ended up sleeping with Taeil in his bed rather than his own so Sungchan and Shotaro wouldn't have one to share, the sunglasses now returned to Haechan.

"Don't worry, if they don't appreciate you, we always will." Taeil whispered, the last thing Jungwoo heard before he fell asleep.