29. I'm too weak to let go of this hand.

Chapter 29: I'm too weak to let go of this hand. To let go of you.

Sunlight came in glowing spots through the leaves. We sat in the shade of the tree. Fingers were weaving gently through my hair, delicately placing flowers in them; decorating me. I felt the breeze wave softly on my skin and mildly tilted my head to glance at Risor who was kneeling behind me as he braided my hair.

It had started with my playfully placing flowers in his hair and then laughing at him. But still, I wonder how we ended up in this position? One of my hands was held up towards him, holding out the flowers to be placed on me. He picked them tenderly, one by one.

It was so peaceful, and the feel of his touch was so calming, I wanted to close my eyes and just listen for a moment. I didn't have my hair done by others too often. It was a new feeling, to have someone touch me there. But strangely, I didn't mind too much with this boy. He poked my cheek, to turn me back and make me face ahead again and I pouted.

"But how do you know how to do a girl's hair?" I asked him, bringing my knees up and pressing at the grass with my finger; not realizing that my voice sounded a little sulky. Obviously, people of the opposite gender didn't interact all that much in this time period. But Risor and I had long abandoned such customs as we played together in this abandoned garden. Just because there were more people around didn't mean we'd change. Or me. I'm not going to change this. But I'm curious.

"Was she your lover?"

I glanced at Risor again and he gave me a frown, shaking his head.

A flower spoke, and his reply was heard.

"My cousins and I played in the meadow. They taught me how to do it and after that..." He sighed. "Let's just say, I should have been paid for how many times I had to do their hair for them."

I snorted, a laugh sneaking out and Risor gave me small resigned smile. "Well, then it's good that you're used to this. I'm going to request the superior to promote you from gardener to the hairdresser in-charge."

Risor gasped and put his hand on my shoulder to protest and I laughed, leaning around and throwing the flowers at him. They landed on his hair and fell back onto me when he looked down at me and I realized how close we were. We realized it together and stayed frozen for a few beats. I noticed how beautiful the yellow lines and flecks in his golden eyes were as they glowed in the reflecting light of the late morning sun. His hair had grown longer too; flowed down by the corner of his temple. He... was watching me too. It was quiet in that moment, and just then we heard footsteps coming our way. We both turned towards the sound and spotted blood-red hair.

"Ugh, she's found me- uahh?!" A sudden grip pressed on my wrist and Risor brought his finger to his lips. I shut my mouth and he gestured with his head. I followed him, as he still held on to my hand, and we secretly moved away together, behind the bushes. We came onto a place in the estate gardens; it was by the hedges and was full of grass. We were hidden by flowers bushes as we sat together under another tree and I giggled.

"You're an accomplice now. She's going to hate you." I whispered to him and he grinned with a soft shrug. He held out a pink peony that appeared in the air and I gently wrapped my fingers around it's stem, just above his grip.

"I'm sorry. I just... didn't want you to..." He furrowed his brows, thinking to himself. Then he timidly looked up at me. His golden eyes glowed through his dark lashes.

"...You can't leave already."

I tilted my head, unable to contain my smile. "Why's that?"

He pressed the corners of his lips and then leaned forward, as if to make a convincing argument. As if persuading himself as well.