Chapter Three: Her Happy Distraction

A sliver of sunlight peeked through the heavy brocade curtains and warmed Lena's cheek. She turned over in her bed and stretched her arms towards the sky. Her family's castle in the Emerald Isles was grand, but the comfort and luxury of Camelot was truly unparalleled in her opinion.

"Good Morrow, Your Highness."

"Good Morrow, Eve", Lena said cheerfully. "Did you find peaceful rest?"

"Indeed. How was your slumber?"

"Eve, I must confess I barely slept a wink, but I feel no discomfort. My mind was happily occupied."

Lena's handmaiden fluffed up her pillows and helped the princess sit up.

"With anything or anyone in particular, Your Highness?"

Lena's eyes were bright and joyful. She grabbed the blankets and pulled them over her for warmth.

"Aye. A very particular person, indeed."

"Will you see her again today?" Eve asked with a wink.

Eve's friendly banter with the princess was quite unconventional, but Lena loved Eve like family and made it clear to her handmaiden that she required more than just a pair of hands to help her dress in the morning. She needed a companion who would listen thoughtfully and share their opinions openly. Eve happily obliged, but refused to call Lena by her first name when Lena suggested it. As Eve put it to Lena, "We can be friends, but I must never become so friendly that I forget my station."

Lena ran her fingers through her silky black hair and grinned. She was present with Eve, but her mind and her heart were far off, daydreaming of Kara and running her fingers through her shiny blonde locks.

"I truly hope so. It will be a very good day if I can see her smile."

"A message came for you early this morning", Eve said handing Lena a letter adorned with Queen Catherine's wax seal.

Lena broke the seal and opened the envelope. She read the letter and smiled happily.

"Queen Catherine has requested that I break my fast with her and her cousin, Lady Samantha this morning. I should bathe and dress post haste."

"Do you think the object of your affection will be at breakfast?"

"I doubt the Knights of the Roundtable break their fast with the Queen, but wouldn't that be lovely? I dare not fantasize about something so wonderful. I'll save those kind of fantasies for my dreams", Lena said with a giggle.

"May I make an observation, Your Highness?"

"Of course, Eve."

"I have never seen you smile this way. It is lovely to see you so happy. I can't remember the last time I heard you laugh genuinely."

"It is lovely to feel this way, but you must keep my secret and never tell anyone you heard me behave like a foolish girl. I have a reputation to protect", Lena said playfully. "Princesses don't giggle."

Eve grinned. She peeled back the covers and helped Lena from her bed.

"Eve, I must confess that I have been feeling forlorn for some time now. My normal joys have brought me no comfort and I have found it increasingly difficult to be merry. This sweet knight has helped me find my cheer."

"She looked so gallant taking a knee and kissing your hand."

"She did, didn't she? I could see how shocked the king and the other knights were. It is strange how someone so formidable and strong, can be so soft and gentle. There is this lovely warmth in her deep blue eyes that I find myself drawn to."