Chapter One: A Knight Named Barry

"To the bravest knight of the round table! We owe you our lives and our victory at Saint Germaine", Sir Clark said as he raised a goblet of wine to Kara and grinned cheerfully.

"Indeed", King Jonn said as he stepped into the room of the round table. His voice was low and full of gravel. All of the knights set their goblets down on the table and pressed the closed fist of their right hands to their hearts.

"Go on. Finish your toast. Here, I shall join you", King Jonn said picking up a glass.

The crowned leader smiled, but Kara couldn't help but notice he seemed a little perturbed. She and the other knights knew that, while the round table was meant to create a sense of equality and unity, the king preferred to be the absolute center of attention. He considered himself the bravest and most valiant of the knights and hated when anyone suggested otherwise. The group paying homage to Kara was sure to have its repercussions later, but for now, Kara smiled and chose to enjoy the gratitude bestowed upon her by her fellow knights.

Clark raised his glass and continued his toast.

"To the gallant Sir Kara. You fought bravely, and honorably. You helped us secure our victory, all along, honoring the oath of the knights of Camelot. You placed character above riches, defended those who needed to be protected, you were honest, humble, and you were fair. You showed the greatest loyalty and love in friendship and you were courteous, honorable and kind to all along the way. You never faltered and you saved the lives of each of us on the battlefield in one way or another. To you, our valiant sister in arms. To you, Sir Kara and to Camelot!"

The other knights raised their glasses and cheered in unison.

"To Sir Kara! To Camelot!"

Everyone took a sip of wine from their goblets and smiled.

King Jonn placed a hand on Kara's shoulder and gave her a warm grin.

"Indeed, you fought with honor and our casualties were negligible thanks to you."

The knights looked at the empty seat, recently left vacant by a disgraced knight.

"If only Sir William had been so brave", Ray said, his voice dripping with disgust.

Clark clasped a hand to Ray's back and smiled.

"Come now. We all took a vow to be brave and loyal, but William was a coward and a fool. Wherever he is, I hope his disgrace haunts him and prevents him from peaceful slumber, but we are stronger together now, more than we have ever been. Our numbers might be small, but we are mighty."

"Well said, Sir Clark", King Jonn said waving the others towards the table. Come, let us all be gathered and start this meeting."

The knights all gathered around the table. They drew their swords from their scabbards one at a time. King Jonn, dressed in a black and white plaid surcoat, cleanly draped over his armor, pulled his sword from its sheath and laid it down, its point facing towards the center of the table. Each of knights followed suit.

Clark, dressed in blue on red, Sir Ray dressed in white on green, Sir Bartholomew, dressed in yellow on red, and Sir Alex, dressed in red on black, laid down their swords before them and stood at attention, awaiting King Jonn's signal to be seated.

Kara drew her sword from its scabbard, a stunning weapon, forged by the most talented sword maker in all of Camelot. It measured one meter, and was double-edged and tapered to a sharp and deadly point. A channel ran down the center on both sides making the sword lighter and easier to wield with two hands around the leather wrapped grip. Her family's crest adorned the pommel. Her surcoat was sleeveless, its colors red on blue.

King Jonn waved his hand and they all took a seat.

"My fellow knights, fresh off the victory at Saint Germaine, we may be tempted to become lazy or complacent, but we must not lose our focus or our edge. While our victory was swift and clean, we must not forget that others will come to try and destroy the bliss we have built here in Camelot."

"And we will fight anyone who would seek to take that bliss away from us", Alex said, clenching her jaw and shaking her head.

"As a show of friendship and a desire to build a strong and lasting alliance, I have invited King Lionel, Queen Lillian and Princess Lena from the Emerald Isles to stay with us indefinitely. My hope is that they will fall in love with Camelot, and want to protect it just as much as we do. They will receive our grandest welcome, and while they are here, I expect that each one of you will do your best to represent Camelot valiantly and to protect and nurture our budding friendship with our neighbors from the Emerald Isles."

The knights all slammed their fists against their hearts to signal their agreement with their king's request.

"We will uphold our oath and do our best to represent the very best of Camelot", Bartholomew said with a crack in his voice.

The other knights all chuckled heartily.

"Not only does Sir Bartholomew win for the longest and most impossible name to say, but he also wins for the squeakiest voice", Alex said with a little jab to her neighbor's ribs.

"Come now", King Jonn said, trying to hold back his laughter.

"I have begged you all to please call me 'Sir Barry', Bartholomew said eagerly trying to defend himself.

"Whoever heard of a knight named 'Barry'. That is the name of a sheep herder or a blacksmith. Don't get me wrong. Both are honorable professions in their own right", Ray said with a raise of his brow and a devilish grin.

"I get it. I'm the youngest and the newest so you need to playfully attack me so I can show that I will not break", Bartholomew said confidently. He puffed out his chest and clenched his fists.

"Nope. They are just being cruel Barry. Don't give them more wood for the fire", Kara said with a hearty chuckle. "Your name really is impossible."

"Maybe you can give your name to William and take his name instead. At least his name sounds like a knight of the round table", Alex said slapping her knee. "I mean, come on...Bartholomew?"

The sound of the knight's laughter filled the grand halls of the castle. The knights had seen their fair share of violence and strife, but today, they cold afford to take a moment to laugh and playfully poke fun at their newest recruit.