Chapter 5

🔮 Vote and comment 🔮

-

Diana Bennett POV

Bonnie eyes widened suspiciously. There were things I still needed to tell her. Things that would turn her life upside down, but I hadn't found the right time. I couldn't say it all in front of these strangers, but they needed to understand the gravity of our new situation.

"Di, what do you mean?" She asked me quietly. I shook my head, signaling that I'd answer her when everyone else left.

"They need our blood for the ritual. All of it," I said, shakily. "Once the creature has been awakened, it will use our corpses to form itself a new body. And everything it does to us, it will do to you as well," I added. "So, you might be right, Rebekah. It won't kill you, it'll just pull your skin from your bones, turn your organs into an original jambalaya and wear you as a skin suit. You won't be dead, but you will be in pieces. Something tells me you wouldn't exactly be thrilled at that kind of...lifestyle."

The blonde vampire's cocky demeanor quickly faded. She was afraid. They all were. I could feel their fear itching at my finger tips.

"And the sirens are the ones who want this evil thing awakened?" Klaus asked, fuming. "Just to blot us out? Is that really the end game? And why loop in Marcel? It doesn't make any sense."

"Everyone has a part to play," I responded, calmly. "Even those of you in this room. This isn't about wiping out the original family. This is about collecting the power of every supernatural creature in the world, and ending any human resisters that stand in the way. Marcel was chosen, for convenience or necessity, I can't say."

"H-how do we even begin to stop this thing?" Matt spoke up, fear clear in his voice.

"Our only hope is to keep it from ever beginning," Bonnie answered.

"So, for once it's not all about the doppelgänger, huh? Funny," Rebekah snorted.

"Rebekah, please," the oldest original in the room scolded her.

"No, no she's right," the brunette human responded, to everyone's surprise. "We have to protect Bonnie and her sister," she turned her eyes to Bonnie. "You've been there for me more times than I can count. We'll keep you safe, no matter what," she reassured. "Right, guys?" She looked around the room.

"Of course," vamp-Barbie said quickly.

"Without a doubt, Bonnie," the green-eyed day walker promised.

The original family nodded quietly, and the room turned to the dark-haired vampire. The brunette beside him elbowed him in the side.

"What? Do I have to spell it out? Yeah, yes whatever, we'll keep the little witches safe," he widened his eyes and nodded to everyone around the room.

"Right, well," Klaus started, "we should make arrangements in our family's home. Rebekah, have a room cleared out—"

"Excuse me?" Bonnie interrupted.

"Sorry, right, make that two rooms, little sister," he corrected.

I scoffed with a sarcastic chuckle. "We're not staying under the same roof as the Mikaelsons," I shrugged, matter-of-factly.

Klaus looked genuinely confused. "Listen, love, it's either us or the Salvatore brothers. And if we're being honest, little witch," he spoke to Bonnie, "neither of them have been very good at keeping you alive these last couple of years, have they? This isn't just about you and your sister. It's about this town. This world. So pack up. I'll send a car in an hour."

With that, he and his older brother moved to the door, with Rebekah rolling her eyes as she followed behind them. The eldest brother remained by the living room's threshold. Klaus passed thru with a quick nod, Rebekah with a glare and an upturned nose.

"I'm Elijah," the oldest offered his hand before crossing into the hallway. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Diana. You have my word, our family will not allow any harm to befall you and your sister," he spoke earnestly, engulfing his large hands in my own. The sensation made me uneasy. There was a wildness, a beast beneath that crisp, neat exterior.

I smiled uneasily and pulled my hands from his, only to have them pulled into the hands of yet another original. "Kol Mikaelson, the fun brother," he said with a wink and dimpled smile.

"Right," I muttered, yanking my hands from his. He simply gave another wink and an amused chuckle and followed behind Elijah.

The brunette walked up next, hugging my sister. She gave a gentle smile, but a glint of something shone behind her eyes. Guilt? Regret? I couldn't tell. She shrank away from me with a quick nod before moving briskly through the hall and out of the house.

Another day walker stepped to Bonnie. "Thanks, Stefan," she said quietly as he pulled her into a hug. It seemed to last a little longer than normal for a friend. I made a note to ask her about it later.

He turned his eyes on me and reached out a hand. I glanced at it and up to Bonnie with a quirked eyebrow. Two from this group had already made physical contact. Any more and things could get complicated.

"I'm a germaphobe," I said too quickly, nodding. He quirked a brow and glanced at Bonnie before nodding and following the brunette.

Before Bonnie could scold or interrogate me, the other day walker, the dark haired one, stepped up to us. "Sissy-witch is hiding something," he watched Bonnie's reaction. She glanced at me, giving him what he wanted. Proof of his suspicions.

They weren't wrong. I was hiding something. Many somethings. And I would come clean to my sister about all of it as soon as all these dead creatures and weak humans left.

He stepped through the threshold just as Bonnie called him. "Damon," she paused as he turned to face her, "thanks."

He nodded, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Of course," he said quietly, and left.

The final two guests, vamp-Barbie and Mr. Boy Next Door waited awkwardly in the living room. "Matt? Caroline? What's up?" Bonnie questioned.

Matt looked confused by her question. "We're helping you pack, making sure you actually go with the Mikaelsons," he answered, like it was the only obvious response.

Bonnie chuckled. "Thanks, Matt, but we got it. You don't have to help—"

"No, no I do. I do have to help. If I don't want to see my own spleen lying out in front of me," he said, with way too much cheer. He was compelled.

"Compulsion? Really?" Bonnie demanded.

"It wasn't me!" Caroline said defensively. "Besides, I would never threaten Matt like that," she scoffed.

Bonnie gave her a look.

"Well, not over this," Caroline added. "But do you mind? If we stay and make sure you're safe until your car gets here?" she pleaded.

Bonnie swallowed and glanced at me. With a sigh, she nodded and flashed a gentle smile at the blonde duo.

"Great!" Caroline perked up. "Let's get started. You'll need at least two suitcases, maybe four duffel bags. And of course we'll need to organize all your toiletries..." Caroline continued rambling on, planning how to pack everything.

"I'll just, uh, follow her lead, then," Matt forced a smile and rushed to catch up with Caroline, heading for the stairs.

Bonnie's eyes followed them until they were out of sight, then she turned a glare to me.

"Bon, I didn't get the chance to explain everything—" I started.

"So explain it now. You've got about..." she glanced at her phone, "forty-eight minutes."

-

🔮 Vote and comment 🔮