Chapter 29: sibling pride

It's the day of Marissa's graduation. Isaac and Liara are driving down for the ceremony, they decide to arrive last minute so they don't draw to much attention.

Claire is waiting for them at the entrance of the school.

Hey sis, where is everybody?

Marissa is getting ready for her speech, mom and dad are reserving seats for us inside.

Great, let's not keep them waiting then.

They make their way to the front row by going down the side of the room and go mostly unnoticed.

Shortly after saying hello to Robert and Vicky the principal opens the ceremony and announces Marissa.

Please welcome our valedictorian Marissa!

Marissa takes place behind the microphone and is visibly nervous. When she looks down Liara motions with her hands to calm down and take a deep breath. She nods and a smile appears on her face.

Hello everybody, today is both exciting and terrifying.

Exciting because today is a celebration for all of our hard work. Terrifying because the next chapter begins and its filled with new challenges and yes, even more hard work.

But this shouldn't discourage us, it's a blank slate that allows us to find our passion and pursue it with everything we've got. That is a responsibility we have to ourselves.

Marissa looks down and smiles at Liara.

Most of all I would like to leave you with something that I learned from somebody that I've looked up to for a long time.

Being kind and helping somebody who is struggling can make a big difference in their life. It is my hope that if we take that responsibility on us that we can make the world a better place by spreading kindness.

Everybody gives her a generous round of applause and all the student receive their diplomas one by one.

The parents and family members move over to the gymnasium where they can all have a drink while the students get together for their last group photo.

A little while later the students enter the gymnasium.

Marissa come rushing over.

How did I do?

Liara gives her a hug.

You did great! We're all proud of you, right everyone?

They all nod in agreement.

Absolutely!

Thanks guys.

After clinking their glasses together Isaac looks around a bit and notices that a lot of people are staring at them.

I think we have some admirers.

Liara lets out a sigh.

That's probably my fault...

Robert interrupts her.

It's nobody's fault, let's just ignore it and enjoy ourselves.

You're right, today is about celebrating!

They talk a bit longer, mostly about Marissa's school career.

As they're leaving everybody is looking at how close of a relationship Marissa and Claire have with Liara.

When they reach the parking lot the two sisters are giddy with excitement.

What up with you two all of a sudden?

Did you see how everybody was looking at us?

It was so awesome!

Liara can't help but laugh a bit.

Did they really not believe that you knew me?

Marissa shakes her head.

A lot of them didn't... part of me wanted to rub it in their faces but that's not me. Putting somebody down doesn't help them become a better person.

Isaac puts his arm around her.

I expected nothing less from you.

They drive to the house to have dinner and talk about Marissa's upcoming move to Los Angeles.

Have you talked to Krista yet?

I have, she offered me a part time job and in return I could stay in the apartment above the studio. She made the rent very affordable and that along with the scholarship puts me in a stable financial situation, considering how expensive living in Los Angeles is.

That's great, it's a pretty big apartment though.

She showed it to me in a video call and I said the same thing. But then she asked if I would be ok sharing it with a roommate, a girl called Mel or Melissa. She said that you would know who she was.

Isaac and Liara look at each other and chuckle.

Yeah, you could say that.

The rest gives Liara a questioning look.

When we had the run in with the stalker in London, the detective that helped us had a daughter who was an aspiring fashion designer. That's Melissa.

That means we'll be working together as well.

Yup, she was a sweet girl so I'm sure that you two will get along just fine.

I already feel less anxious about living with a stranger.

They say their goodbyes and Isaac gives Marissa a longer hug.

You don't have to be anxious about anything, just give Liara or me a call about when you're going to move and we'll be there to make sure it all goes well.

Thank you. You're a good brother... I love you.

That's the first time that she's said that to him and while he's surprised, Isaac is very touched.

Love you too.

During the drive home Isaac is a bit quiet and Liara notices of course.

Is something wrong? Does it have something to do with that hug at the end?

She said that she loves me.

That's so sweet.

Yes, it is...

You don't seem all that happy about it.

I am, it just makes me think about how it took eighteen years before we could have this bond between us and that makes me sad.

That can't be helped though.

I know, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

You have to look at it from a positive angle, you two have bonded quickly.

True, now I just need to figure out Claire... she's a bit all over the place sometimes.

That's just because she's younger, once she matures a bit more that will take care of itself.