of origins and family

what do you do,
at the face of scenarios you've always imagined
what do you say,
to people you've always wanted to meet?

M A D D I E

I was in a car.

It was my first time being in a car and I was sitting behind. Chase was in front with Owen who was driving.

Today, we were set to visit Cassian's pack to meet... my parents. Chase told me it was about a five hour drive so it was better for me to catch some sleep before we arrived, but that was impossible.

How could I possibly sleep when I'm about to meet the people whom I thought have abandoned me?

A long time ago, I always made up scenarios in my head of what would happen if I were ever to meet my parents. Of course, I never thought that one day I actually would be meeting them.

But now, it was really happening. In a scenario I never would've thought of. In a car, with my mate who is a pack wolf and his Beta.

It's been about two hours now and I was fidgeting at my seat at the back as I watched the blurry vision of the forests that we passed by.

I wasn't even able to get a wink of sleep last night because of how nervous I was. I was able to speak with Cassian for a through the Voca Orb and he told me that he hasn't told our parents about me yet. He also said that he was excited to introduce me to our younger sister, Megan.

It must've been because I wasn't able to sleep the previous night, but I when I decided to close my eyes, I was unwillingly drifted to slumber.

I opened my eyes to see that the car was parked at the side of the road. Chase was now beside me and Owen was rested against the driver's seat.

I quickly got up.

Why? Why did we stop? Have we arrived yet?

I turned to Chase who was leaning on me, his eyes closed. I shook him for a bit to wake him up.

"Chase, Chase." I called, he stirred sleepily, but then sat up, yawning.

"Good morning to you too, Madeline." he says. Owen seems to have awoken too.

I was panicking. "Are we here yet?" I asked.

"Yes, we arrived a few hours ago but you were fast asleep so we told Cassian we would wait for you--"

"Wh-why didn't you wake me up!" I say a bit worried and panicky, a bit surprised that my voice raised.

The thought of meeting my family was nerve-wracking and I couldn't calm down.

Chase was quick to notice this and so he smiled. Owen started the car too and was getting ready to drive again.

"I tried waking you up, Maddie, but you didn't wake up. You haven't slept in days, so I decided to let you sleep in a bit." he explained. Why did he always have to be so kind and thoughtful?

How was I supposed to stay mad at him?

I bit my lower lip. "I'm sorry. I'm just nervous." I apologized. Chase put his hand on mine and shook his head.

"Don't think bout it. We'll be there soon." he says.

Owen continued driving and it didn't take long before I saw a barrier glowing around a perimeter. That's the pack.

That's where they all are.

That's where I'm supposed to be from.

My heart was beating faster and faster and unknowingly, I was holding tighter onto Chase's arm and when I noticed it, I realized that I've been relying on Chase more than I realized.

But I didn't move away, I knew I could trust Chase, I knew that I couldn't go wrong with him.

We stopped for a bit in front of the pack barrier and I watched it gradually get weaker before we continued. After we passed it, I watched as the barrier was strengthened again.

After the barrier, we saw tall gates and as it opened, I saw two wolves that greeted us. I understood that they were to guide us of where to go. They started running, leading us the way and Owen followed.

We stopped when we reached a building and judging by how big it was, I understood that it was the pack house.

My eyes breathed everything in. The placement of the buildings, the surroundings, I took it all in, trying to see if I could remember anything, but I didn't.

It was almost night time, the sun was already setting and I could see a few people lined up in front of the pack house. I was thankful that there weren't a lot of people.

The wolves that led us here also disappeared already.

My eyes trailed to the people that were standing. I immediately notice Cassian who was walking towards where Owen was stopping the car.

My eyes stopped at a woman who had the same hair and features as me. The man beside her, I recalled, was the man who looked like Cassian but with black hair. Another one beside him was a girl, I'm guessing her name is Megan.

My chest was getting pummelled and I was going to stay seated right where I was, but Chase had already opened the door and gotten out of the car, his hand extended to help me get off. I saw Cassian waiting outside too, a nervous smile on his face.

I let go of a deep breath before taking Chase's hand and letting him help me get off. He was going to let go of my hand, but I held on. It must have surprised him because he looked at me for a bit and then came closer.

"I'm glad you made it here safely, Maddie." Cassian greeted and gave me a hug. I noticed the group of people behind poke their heads in curiosity.

"Y-yeah." was all I managed to say. I met eyes with the woman who must've been my mother, but then she turned to her mate to say something. He also looked at me.

Oh no, our eyes met!

"Don't be scared, I'm here with you." Chase reminded me and squeezed my hand. As if it contained a spell, his words did comfort me.

I was assured that no matter what happens, I had Chase with me.

"Let's go." Cassian calls and starts walking beside me towards my family.

When we finally arrived in front of them, my heart was still pounding against my chest and I was breathing rapidly. Instinctively, I took a step behind Chase, but still poking my head to look at the people lined up to greet me.

I saw Cassian's Beta whose name I remember was Clause. He smiled at me. The rest of the people bowed for a bit, although when I met the eyes of the man and the woman that I've seen in my dreams, they seemed to be taken back. They looked pained for a while, but that was quickly gone.

"Chase, welcome back to our pack." the man says and greeted Chase, but his eyes were kept on me.

"Yes, thank you for welcoming us back in sir."

"And the lady behind you?" the woman asks, staring at me still.

That's when Cassian looked at me and nodded with an encouraging smile as if telling me that it was fine to step up.

I swallowed hard and took courage to step in front.

"Mom, dad, I want to introduce you to her." Cassian started. They both looked back at their son curiously, probably wondering how he knew me.

"This is Maddie, it's Madeline."