of mates and names

a missing piece,
a soul apart,
you who complete me,
don't give up

M A D D I E

Owen, Kasen and I froze.

What did he just say?

He just declared that we were mates didn't he? Is he out of his mind? Does he really believe in that? Crazy, crazy people everywhere.

"W-w-wait, woah. What?" Kasen started as he stared at me. He had the same eyes as Chase.

"Chase, she's your mate?" Owen questioned from behind, confusion and unbelief written on his face. He looked at me then glanced back at Chase.

I clenched my fists. "You must really be delusional, aren't you? Look, I don't get your beliefs with mates and whatever, but I am not your mate." I said, trying to sound confident, but even I felt a doubt.

Him standing here beside me, heck, even just his smell had me on edges. When he stared at me, it felt like only the two us were there and that naturally, I should be close to him.

But I made sure to kill those sentiments as they came. What is wrong with me?

Why am I getting so shaken so easily?

It's this guy's fault, Chase.

My so called mate observed me for a while before speaking. "You don't know anything about mates, don't you?" he asked.

As if the initial surprise wasn't enough on the two other wolves in the room, Owen and Kasen turned to me, unbelief settled in their faces.

I crossed my arms.

"Should I remind you pack wolves that I'm a rogue, I'm not exactly familiar with how you live and what traditions you follow."

The rogue life was an endless battlefield. You had to constantly watch your back, you had to be strong on your own. Don't depend on anyone else or else it will cost your life.

We don't have lessons about the myths and legends of the were kind. In the lives of the rogues, survival was the only thing that was thought.

"I understand that you're a rogue, but you should still know about mates." Owen said.

"How long have you been a rogue anyways?" Kasen was curious.

I thought for a while before answering his question. Could I trust them?

Well, it doesn't really matter, right now they hold my life. And it's not like his question was harmful.

"I've always been a rogue."

This seemed to cause more confusion in them. Chase was simply looking at me calmly, thinking and observing me. And I hated it because I felt like he could see right through me and that's not a feeling I'm too welcoming to.

"Always... w-what do you mean by that? How old were you when you were banished anyways?" Owen tried understanding the most out of my minimal answers.

I sighed and looked at him straight in the eye.

"I've never been a pack, I was never banished. I grew up as a rogue. I never had a pack, I don't know who my parents are. Any more questions?" I tried to say as calmly as I could, but that backfired because it sounded coming off angrily.

A short silence, they were trying to get a grasp of the situation.

Was it that hard to understand? I know it seemed impossible that I grew up as a rogue, but when I was younger there were rogues that took pity on me and actually took care of me before they were killed off.