All Good Things End

The first thing I was aware of was the plush mattress under me and incredibly soft sheets lying on top of me.  I'd spent my fair share of time in medical wings, but never had it felt so luxurious.  The only hint this room was dedicated to patient care was the lingering scent of disinfectant in the air all hospitals possessed. 

Cracking open my eyes I squinted at the incredibly bright lights illuminating the room, blinking rapidly until the blinding light felt like it wasn't going to penetrate my skull.  I followed an IV in my arm to a few bags hanging on a pole beside my bed.  Pulling the neck of the hospital gown down slightly I saw a few pads stuck to my chest with wires that ran to a monitor.

The room was immaculately clean and opulent considering it was in a hospital.  Most hospitals didn't waste time or money on appearance.  The walls were normally painted a sickly green color that made patients miserable despite their prognosis.  The linens never failed to be scratchy and irritating, and the mattress lumpy from years of use. 

This room was none of those things.  This room screamed at the top of its lungs to get better so you could live your best life or so the poster on the far wall declared obnoxiously.

Experimentally I wiggled my fingers then my toes and finally my arms and legs.  There was a lingering soreness in my muscles, but nothing compared to the ache I'd felt previously.  The fever that had plagued me was gone if the lack of chills and sweat was any indication.  I had no idea what was killing me, but I was glad someone figured it out.

Turning my head I smiled at the sight of Bucky asleep in a chair, his body folded into an uncomfortable looking position to accommodate his enormous frame.  His brow was furrowed, face pinched, and it made me sad that even in sleep genuine rest still eluded him.  Like he could feel my eyes on him he woke with a start, going from 0 to 100 mph in an instant. 

"You look awful," I smiled. 

He shot to his feet, beside the bed in one, giant step.  "You're awake."  He swallowed hard, reaching for my hand.  "You scared the shit out of me."

"What happened?"

I scooted over so he could sit on the edge of the bed. 

"You passed out in my arms in the elevator.  All your internal organs were shutting down."  He shivered at the memory, squeezing my hand.  "It was Jarvis who figured it out.  It was the collar."

My hand probed my throat only to find the suppression collar gone.  My eyes widened and I couldn't stop my elation.  My power expanded in my chest like it was letting me know I was going to be alright.  Bucky reached out through our bond, his soul brushing against mine, and a single tear fell down my cheek.

"Are you hurting?"  He reached out, gently wiping the tear away with his thumb.

"No, I'm happy," I sniffled, trying to compose myself.  "I thought the collar was just supposed to make my powers inaccessible."

Bucky's nostrils flared in anger.  Yikes.  I wondered if Tony was still breathing?

"It was," he practically growled, "I don't think they ever considered the effects it would have on someone like you.  Doctor Banner believes since you were born with your power it's intertwined with your DNA so when they put the collar on it threw your system into chaos.  Without access to your power your body couldn't function properly."

"It was killing me."  He nodded grimly.  "Well, that's truly terrifying.  If HYDRA ever got a hold of that technology..."

"They won't," he interrupted, his arm grinding as the plates moved.  "They'll never touch you again."