The Author

a/n: four one-shots in like thirty hours idek it's a new record

please review! even if it's constructive criticism idec please please review

(there's no cover bc idec)
________________________________________________________

"Hook."

Regina wasn't pleased to see the former pirate at her doorstep (as a matter of fact, saying she wasn't pleased was a sheer understatement). After all, he'd been the one to ruin the happiness she had worked so hard to get.

"Your Majesty," he replied with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Why are you here?" She asked sourly. This time she hadn't done anything to Emma or anyone he cared about, so why the hell was Captain Hook knocking her door?

Hook smiled. "I want to help you."

Regina just glared at the man, obviously not trusting him. "Why would you?"

"Because I know what it's like to have someone come back from the dead and spoil all your chances of a happy ending."

She saw the pain in his eyes and realized who he was talking about. Ever since they'd been in Neverland, it was no secret that he was head-over-heels in love with Emma Swan, and even though they were together and as blissful as they could be, there was a period of time in which he had nearly lost all hope after Neal (who had apparently died) turned out to be alive.

"And what exactly do you plan to do about it? His wife is back, and they're happy together. Maid Marian is completely in love with Robin, and he is too-"

"We both know that he isn't," Hook complained. "Marian didn't wake up when he kissed her because it wasn't a kiss of true love. He's in love with someone else, and that would be you."

Regina knew that. Robin had admitted it himself, but they'd both agreed on not doing anything about it. "He is married, Hook. We can't be together, which isn't really a problem because he clearly doesn't want to. Do you think you know better than I do?"

"Aye," he replied. "It's easy to tell when a man is in love, and when you've been in love yourself, it's even easier to know who is the object of his affection."

As Hook paused for a couple of seconds, Regina realized that he was right. But no matter how hard they tried, they'd never bring back her happy ending.

"Have you ever wondered if fate is what decides what will happen to us? Do you think it's only destiny? Because it's not. There's someone out there writing our future with that bloody device everyone calls 'computer'. If you can find him, you can convince him to give you a happy ending."

The woman was speechless. What he'd said had actually made sense, whereas she wasn't sure if she wanted to try. "And what do you get out of this?"

"Absolutely nothing, love," Hook replied with a smile. "As a matter of fact, my role in this... quest of yours has ended. I'm only here to give you hope, but you shall continue with this on your own."

She nodded, still not having completely forgiven the former pirate but doubtlessly appreciating his effort to make it up to her.

"Have a good day," he said as he slowly walked away from Regina's home.

"Thank you," the former mayor retorted, this time a half smile on her face. She never thought she'd think this within a week of Marian's arrival, but there was finally hope for her.