Prologue

No young woman, no matter how great can know her destiny

No young woman, no matter how great can know her destiny. She cannot glimpse her part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, she must live and learn. And so it will be for the young Mage arriving at the gates of Camelot. A girl that will, in time, mother the legend. Her name: Merlyn.

Prologue

Merlyn had no idea how she had gotten herself into this mess. She knew from the Great Dragon, Kilgharrah. That not only was she destined to become the greatest and first ever Mage and protector of the Prat Prince Arthur Pendragon. But also the Once and Future Queen, succeeding in uniting the lands of Albion and returning magic to the land. A lot of pressure, right? But she hadn't let a certain part play on her mind, and in fact she had forgotten about it. As she had hated Arthur at first, she'd only just remembered, actually she had been retold of it, when she admitted to Gaius and Kilgharrah that she had feelings for Arthur.

She had no idea when the love as a friend had grown into actual love. But if she had to fathom a guess; it would be during the tournament when he had been staying with her and Gaius, posing as being too ill to participate, and had kissed her after dinner one night when Gaius had been out. Or perhaps it was before then? And she only realised it at that moment. Then he had been attacked by the assassin while he had been participating and they had ended up kissing once more in the tent. Which brought us to now.
"Merlyn?" Arthur called as they all left the Council Chambers after the meeting discussing the assassin Arthur had 'killed' when he and Merlyn had been getting exercise to strengthen him. When in reality Merlyn had killed him during the tournament with her magic, not that anyone other than herself and Gaius knew that.

"Yes?" Merlin asked nervously as Arthur pulled her into an alcove.
"What happened while I was staying with you..." Arthur started but Merlyn cut him off.
"You don't need to..." Merlyn said only for Arthur to cut her off.
"Will you let me finish!" Arthur exclaimed frustrated, before they both started laughing, successfully calming Arthur down. "As I was saying. What happened while I was staying with you I don't regret it, and I care for you a great deal. But my father, he will never accept it and I can't stand to see you banished or worse." Arthur said his voice tight as he rested a hand on Merlyn's cheek.

"When you're King you can change that Arthur." Merlyn sighed as she covered Arthur's hand with her own. "Until then, I shall remain at your side as your maidservant." She sighed as she pulled his hand from her face, no matter how much it hurt to say these words.
"I can't expect you to wait around that long for me." Arthur said sadly.
"I wish I could tell you something but I fear now is not the time to tell it." Merlyn said sadly, obviously conflicted.
"What is it, Merlyn? You know you can tell me anything." Arthur asked as he went to take her hands but frowned when she stepped back away from him.
"I know. But this...this I cannot tell you yet, no matter how much I wish I could." Merlyn said, shaking her head softly as tears filled her eyes.

"Merlyn," Arthur pleaded, taking a step forward. "If you want to, then tell me. Nothing you can say will ever change how I feel or think of you."
"This might. You'll hate me and I can't bear to see that look coming from you." Merlyn said before she ran from the alcove ignoring Arthur's calls after her. She ran all the way to her rooms with her great-uncle Gaius, where she locked herself in her room as the tears fell in an unstoppable waterfall.

How does she tell the man she loves that she's what he hunts? That she's a Mage? That they will unite Albion as the Once and Future King and Queen? He'd think she'd bewitched him and she can't bear seeing the hate come from  him. From others she can bear it, but from Arthur? No that would destroy her. If only her mother was here she'd know what to do. What to say. Sometimes she wished she'd never come to Camelot and stayed in Ealdor with her mother, and this was such a moment.

 Sometimes she wished she'd never come to Camelot and stayed in Ealdor with her mother, and this was such a moment

Thank you Arcstark for the amazing banner.

Thank you to vintagewanda for the amazing gif.