Chapter 7

Brock made his way down to the front entrance and immediately looked for Annie. His eyes scanned the large mass of frightened men and women anxiously.
He grabbed one of the policemen and asked,
"Did everyone make it out?"
"We're not sure." the policeman said, pulling away. "One or two might still be in there."
With that, Brock spun around and ran forward running hard into someone. When he looked down, a wave of relief came over him.
"Are you alright?" Brock asked, taking Annie by the shoulders.
She was silent at first, staring at him before she nodded slowly saying,
"It was just a flesh wound."
Brock furrowed his brows and said,
"What's wrong?"
Annie looked at him almost blankly then she frowned and said,
"Everything."
Brock was about to speak when she cut him off by saying,
"Seriously! like what the hell is going on?!"
"Shhhh!" Brock said harshly. "You have to be discreet here alright. You're a witness to a crime right now so don't go showing that off. Anyone could be listening."
Annie set her jaw and looked around her quickly as she sighed. Brock the took her by the arm and pulled her through the crowd.
"What are you doing?" Annie almost shouted.
"I'm getting us a car. No one can know where we are going."
Annie let out an annoyed moan and tried her best to keep up with Brock in her bare feet. However, they quickly reached a black Audi with the doors open and the keys in the ignition. Brock looked around anxiously before regarding the car a moment.
With a grunt of annoyance, he pulled Annie away and farther down the road.
"Why didn't we take that car?" Annie asked.
"Because it was put there for us to get." he replied, "Possibly rigged."
Annie looked back at the building where they were just at and saw the mass of confused attendees shouting and running about as the police tried to take care of the situation. She looked forward again, then down at her hand which was securely locked in Brock's grasp. His grip was tight, but not to the point where it hurt her. Regarding his hand for a moment, Annie's eyes followed the length of his arm up to his shoulder and then to his face. She cocked her head a bit when he looked sideways, and she regarded his profile with admiration.
Suddenly a large noise sounded behind them and Annie almost screamed. She was immediately pressed close to Brock, then behind him as an orange glow from a nearby explosion lot up their faces.
"Told you." Brock mumbled.
He then proceeded to pull her along once again and she remained glancing back at the smoke that rose into the night. Brock stopped when he saw an old pickup and he smiled. They arrived beside the vehicle and Brock quickly set to getting into it.
As Brock struggled to get the door open, Annie stood a few feet from him watching. He had taken his suit jacket off and his tie and Annie couldn't help but notice how muscular Brock really was. When he made a noise that sounded like one of relief, Annie's thoughts snapped back and she came close. The driver's door swung open and Brock leaned in and unlocked the other door.
"Get in." be told her.
She immediately climbed in as Brock proceeded to Hotwire the truck. When it started up, Annie was already in and buckled, shutting her door with a slam. Brock climbed in too and after he shut his door and put it into drive, Annie asked,
"Where are we going?"
Brock looked at her, breathing a little heavy and then he replied,
"I don't know yet."