Chapter 11

Annie's eyes fluttered open and immediately she sat up, feeling a cool breeze on her cheeks . She noticed the soft feel of satin on her skin which was warmed by a fur blanket. She looked down at herself and realized she was dressed in a white satin gown that just barely reached her knees, and was lying in a large bed in an equally large room. It was dark but Annie could see the faded outlines of what seemed like vintage furniture and a large hearth with the glowing embers of a blazing fire just barely giving off light on the other end of the room. The moonlight was beaming through the open balcony doors and the breeze drifted softly through the room and rustled the thin white canopy curtains hanging over the bed.  

 She blinked as the memories of that night rushed through her mind. She suddenly felt panic rush over her and she threw back her blanket quickly, rushing to get herself off of the bed. 

"Don't move." a deep voice suddenly sounded.

Annie froze and her eyes shot around the room and said,

"Who's there?" 

 She heard a soft shuffling and she managed to see the large shape of  man appear in front of the fading embers of the fire across from the foot of the bed. She felt her hands begin to shake and a strange feeling settled in her gut as she watched the form approach her. The moonlight beaming through the open balcony doors outlined the massive shape of none other than the Winter Soldier, the light glinting off his exposed metal arm . Annie felt her stomach drop and her heart began to race.

"What do you want?" she said in a shaky voice.

  There was no response from the seemingly statue of a man, and all she could make out were the fine features of his stern face as he stood silently before her. Annie glanced about her quickly, trying to plan an escape as she felt his eyes on her. 

"You won't escape." he said in a very monotone voice.

 His voice sent a shiver down her spine and she felt that even though she wanted to run towards the door she couldn't move at all. 

"Where am I ?" she asked quickly. "What's going on?"

 The Winter Soldier cocked his head at her, as if he was intrigued somehow by her. He continued to watch her for a few moments as she averted her eyes, confused and terrified.

"In all of the years that I was following you I have never been so close to you before." he said aloud.

Annie was caught off guard by this statement and her mouth opened to speak but no words escaped her lips. She watched as the now partially lit form of the assassin stepped closer until he was at the side of her bed, watching her intently.

"Please." Annie began in a trembling voice." What do you want?"

  The silent soldier stood next to her, his deep blue eyes staring into hers , his dark, tangled hair hanging low about his face. 

"You haven't begged for your life." he said finally.

 "I just want to know what you want from me." Annie said quickly, her eyes unable to leave his gaze.

"You will see." he said, once more in his monotone voice.

 His eyes narrowed a moment as if he was studying her face, before he inched forward and kneeled on the bed next to her. Annie's heart was racing, anything could happen in the next few moments, absolutely anything. She could feel her heart pounding inside her skull and was sure by its intensity that it was visibly beating through her chest. The sudden glint of the moonlight on the metal of his arm caught her gaze and she watched, as if she was paralyzed, as his metal hand reached out to her throat. The cold of the metal made her gasp then her eyes shot to his to find that he seemed to be very intrigued by what he was doing.