Chapter Thirteen

There was no way in hell that I was staying in that office for another minute, I just had to get out of there. I know it sounded dramatic but I honestly felt like my life just shattered right in front of my eyes. The two people I trusted the most in the entire world just completely betrayed me. I had no idea what to do with myself, my brain was pulling me in a thousand different directions. 

I quickly ran to my car so I was out of sight of everyone. I urgently jumped in, slamming the door behind me and let out a deep sigh of mental exhaustion as I slammed my palms into my forehead. All I wanted to do was break down right there and then, but something wouldn't let me. I wasn't that girl anymore, the girl who let's people get to her like that. I was too old to be crying over boys. And I had a lot bigger problems to deal with. I wasn't going to let Jack win this time. This was going to be the last time he get's to see me like that. Weak and vulnerable.

I promptly took out my phone before the idea got lost in my thoughts. I opened up the document that had been untouched for the last two weeks. "Life isn't fair.." And from there I began to write.

I'll admit the article was risky but I was so beyond the point of caring. I didn't care what Sam thought of me, or anyone else for that matter. Especially Jack. He couldn't possibly think any lower of me than I did of him at this point in time. I walked proudly into Sam's office the next morning and placed the article on his desk. He looked up at me and what looked like an attempt at an apology but I guess he voted against it when he saw the look on my face. He picked up the article and began to read out loud.

 "Life isn't fair, you know why? Because your whole life you are feed these complete and utter lies. Every single romantic movie teaches you that it's okay if things go bad because you'll always end up with the guy, no matter what obstacles get in your way. You'll always be his first choice and no matter how much competition there is, you'll always be the one. You'll always be enough. Life isn't fair because clearly I was never enough. People will tell you they love you but they don't actually mean it. They'll love you when it suits them but as soon as it gets complicated they run. Why? Out of fear of getting hurt? No because they are cowards and don't understand the concept of holding out and fighting for something they truly want..." After that he began to read it silently. He blew a bit of air out of his mouth before looking up at me.

"It's good..I mean really good..but the end..are you sure you want to put that in?" He inquired. "Don't tell me how to write Sam, God knows you've tried to control every other bit of my life." I said with a straight face before I turned to leave. Just as I reached the door Sam called my name and I swung around and leaned against the door frame. "What?" I asked disinterested.

"I'm so so sorry, I thought about it last night and realized how stupid I was to do that, but I want you to know I only did it out of good intentions. I honestly thought he needed you back in his life" He said sincerely. I sighed deeply. "Yeah well that wasn't your decision to make" I said emotionless before leaving his office.

I had been sitting in my office for a few minutes before I heard those all too familiar footsteps come into my office. I didn't dare look up. I was greeted by the newspaper with my article printed on it slammed on my desk. I looked up with a smug smile and was greeted by Jack's angry eyes. "What's this?" He asked sternly. "That's a newspaper Jack" I said trying to hold back my smug smile. His nostrils flared with anger. "The article Kendall" He said in an irritated tone. I shrugged casually. "Just my first article, no big deal" I told him while continuing my work.

He picked the newspaper back up and began to read. "It's a funny thing coming home to find that the boy you always pictured yourself ending up with planning to marry some skank. Yes I'll admit I don't know her but she can't have much respect for herself if she's marrying someone like him" I nodded not even slightly phased. "You realize this is technically a jab at you?" He said squinting at me. I shrugged, "It was worth it" I told him.

He chuckled in frustration. "You can't print this" He said shaking his head. "Oh what are you going to do complain to Sam because I can guarantee it won't work. I have him whipped at the moment" I told him. "Maybe I will" He threatened. I rolled my eyes. "Oh would you relax I didn't even mention your name and besides I think we can both agree what you did was a lot worse" 

Jack groaned in frustration throwing his head back. "Kendall how many more times can I apologize?" He asked. "Maybe one more time" I said with a grin. "Fine, I'm sorry" He said again. I paused for a moment. "Okay" I said. "Okay so we're good?" Jack asked. "Oh no, I just meant okay as in you can get out of my office now" I said with a smile. He stood there in shock for a moment. "Real nice Kendall" He said in a disappointed tone. "Thanks babe" I said with a toothless grin as he left the room.

It may be a little while before the next chapter is up because I have exams coming up and I don't know how much time I'll have to write.