Chapter Seven

I sat still for what felt like a century, unable to fully comprehend what I had just read. In one sense it made complete sense and then in another I was completed clueless. It was too familiar of a story to not be him. But Is it him? Or did he write it for 'James'?. And if he is Jack, why did he lie? All these questions I was incapable to answering alone. I took a minute to catch my breath before getting out of the car. I caught a second glance of Jack/James whoever he is through the coffee shop window. I crumpled the piece of paper in my hand as I glided across the road and swung open the door. 

He looked straight up as soon as I walked in. As I got closer I held up the paper and opened my mouth and began to ask "So is it you?" But as I looked into his eyes, I didn't have to even ask, I just knew.

As I stared into those all too familiar eyes. A wave of emotion came over me. The emotions I felt all those years ago crashed into me. I felt a physical pain in my chest and had to take a deep breath to try and reduce it. I didn't know what to do. 5 years later and he is still able to make me flustered. I released my grip from the page slightly and placed it down on the table in front of him. "Did you really mean all that?" I said almost through gritted teeth. He sighed deeply, running his hands through the front of his hair and leaned back sluggishly in his chair.

"I did..I don't know I just had to write it down somewhere I didn't mean to make you upset" He said looking back up at me. "I'm not upset" I said trying to be convincing but I just ended up contradicting myself.

"Kendall come on, sit down, don't be so hostile, don't act like we're strangers" I felt a mixture of angry and sadness at that point. I was angry that he was speaking to me like I'm a child but I was upset that we were on the basis now that he would call me Kendall. I sat down with a neutral expression on my face. "Do you want anything?" He offered. I just shook my head with my arms folded. He sighed deeply again.

"Kendall, what's wrong?" He asked as if I was being irrational. "Why did you lie to me? James? Really?" I asked him raising an eyebrow at him. "Oh you're angry about that, don't you think I should be the one angry about that? That you didn't recognize me? I was joking but you believed me so I went with it" He said with a grin. "You changed, it's been 5 years Jack" I said still hostile. "So have you but I could never forget that face" He said leaning forward. I rolled my eyes. "God somethings never change" He said with a smug smirk. "What's the suppose to mean?" I scowled at him. "You're just as moody as you always were" He said followed by a chuckle. I opened my mouth to say a comeback but I knew that's exactly what he wanted, so I didn't.

"So what have you been up to these last few years?" He asked taking a sip of his coffee. "Are you really trying to small talk me?" I asked raising an eyebrow at him. He laughed leaning back in his chair and raising his hands in the air. "I can't win with you can I?" He asked me. "Nope, but you should of known that by now" I said finally letting a smile shine through.

We talked for a few hours just about where our lives have come to. Jack was actually working with Sam in the newspaper. Yeah Sam was definitely going to be killed for not telling me. He was living just a few houses away from his old house (Which means he must be pretty rich) His Dad and Mom are still workaholics and his still tries to avoid contact with them at all costs. I told him about Mom. He said he was sorry and I smiled in appreciation.

The connection was still there, I couldn't deny it and I wouldn't say either could he. But then again I don't think that connection will ever go away. I stopped myself when I felt I was opening up to him too much. It was too soon for that. I wasn't sure if I was ready for that yet.