Chapter 2

"I don't know, Tide. It makes me nervous, knowing how close to the shore you have to be," Mom said, using her carved-abalone ladle to scoop kelpmeal into a large clamshell for herself.

"But the sea turtle hatchlings aren't going to save themselves, Coral! You know how important this is to me," Dad said, crossing his arms. "Besides, the rescue team will have failsafes, we're not stupid. I mean, why didn't you bring up these concerns when I joined the training program?"

Mom sighed, setting her clamshell of kelpmeal down on the driftwood table. "I don't know, I guess it's more real now. Look, I don't want to tell you that you can't take the job. I'm just letting you know how I feel about it, that's all."

"Good, because I am taking the job," Dad said, his seagrass-green tailfin flaring out to its full width. He exhaled sharply, sending a stream of bubbles up towards the ceiling. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be- I'm just very passionate about this, Coral."

Her eyes softened as she gazed up at him. "I know. Like I said, it just makes me nervous. But I trust you. And you're right, those hatchlings need all the help they can get."

"Yeah, I think it's cool," I said after swallowing a bite of my kelpmeal. "But how are you guys gonna be allowed to go so close to the shore? Let alone even be in the shallows."

"Well, Hart, like I was telling your mother, all of the hopeful soon-to-be rescuers have been participating in an extensive training program. Those of us that showed the most promise got offered the jobs. During the training we learned things like...properly camouflaging ourselves with seaweed, for example. And other such things, if the situation calls for it. So, being spotted by humans shouldn't be a problem. While we can't exactly help all the hatchlings on their journey to the water, our main focus is going to be ensuring the safety of the ones that do make it underwater. Poor things can't catch a break, it seems like all the odds are against them." He shook his head, sighing. "Like your mother said, it's going to be dangerous, but we're prepared. It's what we were trained for."

"Those baby sea turtles are going to be in good hands," Mom said, smiling proudly. "So, when do you start, then?"

He leaned against the side of her oyster-shell chair, swishing his tail in thought. "Well, tomorrow we have our first practice rescue, but the next day is our first real day."

"Are you guys gonna ever do a 'bring your family to work' day?" I asked, even though I knew it was probably a long shot.

Dad chuckled. "Woah there, hold your seahorses. I haven't even started yet. But I don't think so, Hart. Not with how risky everything is already going to be, especially with predators like the sharks that will be lingering close by to try and snatch some hatchlings for themselves. Wouldn't want them snatching you, too," he laughed, ruffling my hair. After seeing my pout, he backtracked. "I'll see how everything goes the first week, then I'll bring the idea up to the Captain, alright? But if we do anything of the sort, I already know there will be strict guidelines to follow. The Captain will have to get approval from the King, which could take a while. You definitely won't be able to be as close to the shore as us, that's for sure. So you'll just have to watch from a distance." He clapped his hand on my shoulder. "If, and only if I can get the Captain to agree, does that sound like a plan?"

I grinned. "Yeah! Can't wait!"

"See, why can't you be as excited about my job as he is, Coral?" He joked, lightly elbowing her shoulder.

She playfully rolled her eyes. "Alright, boys, that's enough," she chuckled. "Let me finish my kelpmeal in peace."

#

"I'm headed out! Today's the big day!," Dad announced proudly as Mom and I finished up our kelpmeal breakfast.

Mom shot up from her chair and wrapped her arms around him. "Good luck today, sweetie," she murmured into his ear. "Not that you need it."