Chapter 2

I was leaning over Flynn's bed, setting the red velvet bedsheets in place. Sticking my tongue out as I struggled to set everything in place, sweat dribbled down my face. Setting beds was my least favourite task. Ensuring that the bedsheets wouldn't fly up at night was a struggle that left me panting.

     "Helena," Flynn said.

    I sprung upright and my eyes widened. Flynn was walking towards me. His hair was a mess, his mouth set in a grim line. Something felt off and I took a deep breath in.

     "Yes, your highness," I said.

     Flynn winced and I frowned. Something was definitely up.

     "My parents are hosting a meeting. It'll be just me and my parents and I was wondering..." Flynn said. He ran his fingers through his hair, exhaling. "And I was wondering if you could attend it with me."

     My eyes widened at his request. Of all the things he could have asked for, I didn't expect that.

     "Why?" I asked.

     "I just need moral support," Flynn said. "I have a feeling I know what it's about. And it's bad news."

     Flynn wore a pained expression. I so badly wanted to ask Flynn why he needed my support, especially after he told me I was nothing but his servant, but I shut my mouth. At the end of the day I was his servant, which meant I had to do whatever he asked for.

     "Okay," I said. "I'll attend this meeting with you."

     "Thank you, Helena," Flynn said, looking relieved. "This means a lot."

     I nodded and together, we left his room and went to the meeting he dreaded.

*****

     We were in the throne room. It was a large room where a red carpet led up to two thrones; one for the King and one for the Queen. The King and Queen were both seated in their designated spots, their eyes on Flynn as Flynn walked towards them. I stood off the side, feeling as if I didn't belong. Flynn's parents seemed confused by my presence, but they ignored me as they focused on their son.

     "Hello father, mother," Flynn said, nodding towards his parents. "Why have you called me in for a meeting?"

     Flynn stood on the red carpet, at the bottom of the steps that led up to the throne. He stood straight and proud, and my mind flashed back to the pain on his face earlier. Flynn was a lot of things and a good actor was one of them.

     "As you know, you're turning twenty-one this year. Which means, you'll be the future king soon," King Orion said. "Which also means, you need a Queen. You're getting old, Flynn. You should have a woman at your side by now, but you're single. I expect you to find a bride soon."

     Flynn stiffened. His eyes flew wide and my heart sunk, despite knowing we could never be. Cursing myself, I placed my hand over my heart and felt it pound. For some reason, I still wanted to be with Flynn, even though Flynn wanted nothing to do with me. And looking to him, I felt my heart sink.

     "Father, I'm too young to get married," Flynn said. He was blazing now, the anger evident in his eyes. "I'm twenty one! I may be old enough to be a King apparently, but a husband? No. I've just begun my life."

     "You're being foolish," King Orion said. "It's customary for a prince to be married by twenty-one. You need someone to help you rule the kingdom! You can't do it on your own."

     "That's absurd!"

     Flynn was trembling now. His hands curled into fists as he glared up at his parents. His parents sighed and exchanged a look.