The Zombie Virus-Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Sarah Roland

 My mother and I hesitantly decided that it would be best if we got ready to leave tomorrow, and left Friday. After the longest conversation in my life, my mother finally decided to "hit the hay". So I decided now was the best time to say goodbye to my beloved home.

I walked in my room, getting a good look at my twin-sized bed with the baby blue sheets. I ran my hand down the silky fabric, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I could remember when I'd gotten those sheets.

I had just turned thirteen, and at the time I thought that my world was changing. I was boy crazed, and needed attention desperately. So when I couldn't be given that attention at home, I figured I would just have to make up for it at school. During that time I couldn't make many friends because all the girls thought I would steal away their boyfriends. Though I probably would. Only one girl, Laury- a pretty, auburn-haired, green-eyed angel- was actually kind enough to see through my act. One day, while I was sitting all alone at lunch, pretending to not care about anybody but the cute guys laughing and sneering at the table across from me, she came to me. She sat, just like that. Didn't even say a word. I glared at her, waiting for her to back away and leave, while secretly, I was silently pleading for her to never get up again. And after that, she continued to sit with me every day. She was there with me for everything, even saying goodbye to my sister.

And then I was forced to say goodbye to her not much later.

The year of my very first birthday spent with Laury had come along and my sister had recently been diagnosed with cancer. Of course she stayed in the hospital for a little over two and a half years, going through multiple tests and chemotherapy. They had found it extremely odd for someone at the age of seventeen to have such harmful cancer. But, they couldn't do much so they pretty much just gave her an expiration date and said "enjoy what you have left". And on the day of my birthday, my parents decided to throw a surprise party for me so that when I got home from school my sister would be sitting right in the living room waiting for me, welcoming me with open arms. I remembered how happy I was that day. My father took us out to a movie, and we all sat through it, feeling more like a family than we ever had before. I opened my presents and there they were. Those silky, baby blue sheets I'd wanted.

After my sister died I couldn't bare to part with them, so I kept using them, no matter how faded and worn they'd become. But now I had to say goodbye to them. I would have to let the memories live on in my heart, but leave the cherished momentums behind. Finally, I laid down and rested my head, feeling the warmth of the sheets that I'd held onto for so long, not wanting to let them go. I hugged the sheets close to my chest, sobbing into them, letting all my worries soak deep into the fabric. And for one single moment, just one moment, I felt them there with me- my father, my sister, and Laury.

"Help me understand what I need to do," I pleaded with the open air.

I bawled into the now tarnished sheets. I cried for what seemed like an eternity, finally bringing my tears to an end in a deep sleep that I'd so clearly needed.

              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up it was nearly noon. My mom was making eggs and bacon for me out of the short supply we'd had.

"Oh, Mom, you didn't have to make me breakfast." I mentioned.

"Oh yes, I did," she sang. " I want you to eat so we can have some energy so we can leave.." she said, dwelling.

I snatched some bacon and grabbed some eggs, practically swallowing them whole. It tasted so good, and I hadn't had a really breakfast in what felt like ages. I loved my mom so much that I'd never once asked her to make me breakfast. I always just settled for cereal or something else that I could make easily by myself. But now that she made me breakfast without me asking, it made me feel like with every bite I took, extra love was adding to my heart.

"Well, thank you. Its been awhile since I've eaten bacon," I stated.

We both smiled in unison. The bacon tasted so delicious and crispy. The wonderful, flavorful juices danced on my taste buds. I bit down again, trying to suppress a smile.

When I was done with breakfast I went into my room to try to figure out what was a necessity and what was not. I grabbed my large duffel bag and unzipped the top. Deodorant- that's definitely a necessity. I threw my black high-top converse in, as well as some vans. I was not going to leave those behind. I threw a few of my favorite shirts I bought from Forever21 in, hoping I could still be stylish where ever I was going. I tossed three pairs of jeans in, and then settled with two pairs of shorts, hoping that might be enough for me. I also threw my swimsuit and flip-flops in, just for the heck of it. When I glanced over at my ipod-touch I realized I couldn't bare to leave it behind. I put it in the outside pocket, as well as the charger, hoping that everywhere we went there would be electricity. I knew for a fact that over half of the world was trying to live through blackouts. Since the population seemed to be dying down a bit, the power companies hadn't had enough workers to deal with every situation. Not to mention, the number of people who didn't even attend their jobs anymore. Such as, my mother. She stayed at home, putting off the mortgage and other bills as long as possible. Of course since the virus started taking a toll on the world, the bill collectors seemed to have given up hope on the fact that people might actually decide to pay. I laughed to myself, knowing the truth in this.

After I finished packing my things I went to go check how my mom was doing. I went into  her bedroom, noting the unique wall texture the painter had done in this one specific room. The whole room was lit up by a brilliant tangerine-colored aura, and two gracious windows that let light beam through and illuminate everything. However, ever since the virus, the room had become dark and empty.

"Hey Mom. How's the packing doing?"

I walked in, realizing I'd walked in when she was staring at a picture of us. Of all of us. Me, my father, my sister, and her. I embraced her,trying to soothe the distressed heart  they had left behind in their absence. She tried to reassure me by rubbing my head like she did when I was only a little girl.

"Time goes by too fast," she weeped.

"I know it does." I agreed, honestly. After all, if it hadn't been for time, I still might have Laury sitting beside me, chatting away about her newest crush. If it weren't for time, my sister would still be healthy and lively, and my father would still be waking up in the morning to go to work.

Time's a bitch.

"Well," she began, trying to change the subject, saying, "I'm going to go to the kitchen and pack up some pots and pans so we can make fires to cook our food."

She started walking towards the hallway leading into the kitchen, but then suddenly she turned around. "Um, I asked Lidia if she would like to come with us since we have extra room in our SUV and...well she said she'd like to come along and take her daughter with her." 

I nodded, instantly realizing something.

"Wait. What about Rebecca's boyfriend in the military? Surely she wouldn't leave him,"I stated, more of a question than anything, though.

"That's what I was getting at. Lidia basically won't let her stay for him. Charles has been given specific orders to stay, and he can't leave under any circumstances. So he's over next door trying to convince her to leave right now."

I sighed. Everyone has had to say goodbye to someone. Whether it was a best friend, a parent, a sister, or anyone. But with me, I had to say goodbye to all three of those.

             Saying goodbye to Laury was probably the second-worst goodbye I'd ever said in my life. My sister's was the first. I hadn't gotten to be there for my dad when he died because the doctors didn't let me into the research facility. Before he went into intensive care I got to tell him how I felt, although.