7

The Emerald of the Seas is a huge! I mean, from watching the movie, I knew that the Titanic had been big back in its day, but it is a boat next to this beast. The length of it seems to stretch on forever and it appears to be almost as tall as it is long, with rows upon rows of small cabin windows peeking out along the side.

With an impressive twelve decks, the Emerald of the Seas towers over us in Port Everglades, the hot spot for cruise liners here in Fort Lauderdale.

Phoebe cranes her neck to look up at our holiday home for the next ten days.

"Wow." She removes her sunglasses and stares in awe. "I know they say size don't matter, but to hell with that. The bigger the better, am I right?"

"I know, it's rather impressive, isn't it? I don't think I've ever seen one this big before."

"That's what she said."

I let out a proper cackle before I can stop myself. We're standing in line waiting to board this grand ship along with a few thousand others. It's one-thirty in the afternoon and the sixty-eight degrees Floridian winter warmth grazes our bare skin and I'm already grateful to be away from the cold back home. If it's not December, the cold can bugger off.

Upon checking out of the motel this morning we discovered that there were shuttle busses from the airport to the cruise liner docks, so we hopped on one of those instead of ordering an Uber and the shuttle took us straight to our ship.

The ship was already docked when we arrived, and the last of the passengers have been trickling out of there in a steady rhythm for the past half an hour. Even though we're far away I think they all look very tanned and happy, at least that's what I'm telling myself, which bodes well for us.

"That'll be us in ten days' time," I say as we watch the remaining people disembark from the ship. Phoebe smiles and has a drink from her water bottle. We knew the wait to embark would be long, so we brought snacks and drinks to keep us busy.

Looking up at the ship we try to guess where our cabin is. It should be close to the middle, which apparently is the best spot with the least amount of movement from the waves, but there are so many tiny windows that there's no way of telling. Or if we're even looking on the right side.

It takes us a full hour and a half before we cross the ramp that takes us from solid ground to the entrance of the ship, moving at snail speed along with everyone else. At least we don't have to carry our suitcases around with us. We handed those over at the check-in point where they put our cabin number on them and told us they would be delivered after boarding.

Upon embarking the ship, I look around to get a feel of this place. It's big. That's definitely what I think of first. Next is the carpeted floors and wooden panels running along the sides. It's all very cozy in a way.

With me gazing around like a fool, Phoebe has already gone ahead, and I soon lose her in the crowd coming inside. I look around for her, but to no avail. Seriously. We have barely boarded the ship and have already lost each other. At least I remember our cabin number. Deck 4 cabin number 4632. I follow the current of people, but soon they are separating, going left and right and some to the wide staircases leading further up and down at the center of the ship. I remember there only being three of these on board, at the front, the back and here in the middle.

I turn right and find myself at a closed door. A big green button next to the door seems to be what you'll press to open it.

I press the green button next to the door, but nothing happens. I press it again, a little harder, but it remains shut.

"Are you kidding me?" I exclaim to myself. Again, again and again I hammer on the button, irritation building inside of me. People behind me are murmuring clearly as impatient as me, but having it directed towards me and me being responsible for the hold up only irritates me more.