Chapter Five: Lips and Tongues

(Once again I must mention this is the first time i'm writing in english, and in this chapter I gave in to my habit of writing long sentences, so if you read something incorrect, or simply sounding awkward, my bad, please warn me so I can correct it. Enjoy ;) )

Chapter Five: Lips and Tongues

When Caleb came down the stairs, ready to go to his band's rehearsal at Kelly's, Adam lifted his eyes from his book and laughed at him.

"You call that shaving? You look like a hedgehog with scabies!"

"Well, thanks a lot," Caleb said, narrowing his eyes in exasperation, sliding his hand along his face. There actually were some spiky hairs scattered around, survivors of the razorblade "I don't have that much of a stubble anyway, and I certainly don't have the patience to shave it properly," he added, shrugging.

Adam stood up, put the book down and gestured his brother to follow him upstairs.

"Where are we going?" Caleb asked, but he followed anyway. He groaned as he saw his brother head to the bathroom. "I'm not going to shave again, once a week is bad enough!"

"I'll do it, then," Adam stated, pulling a stool to the middle of the bathroom. He gestured for Caleb to sit in there and putting the shaving gel in his hand.

Caleb stared at him open-mouthed. Was he serious? His smile was glib but he looked like he meant it. For some reason, Caleb found himself looking forward to it. He obeyed Adam's order, spreading the gel on the lower half of his own face. Adam grabbed a razorblade and wrapped a towel around Caleb's shoulders just below his neck.

"Lift your chin," Adam said, "Now do like this," and he demonstrated by curling his upper lip over his teeth. Caleb promptly mimicked him.

Adam was astonished with the other boy's compliance. He was expecting Caleb to turn down his playful efforts to make him look more personable, the way he always did to his mother whenever she complained about his clothing, his disheveled hair, his ear piercing. Instead, he was behaving like an educated puppy. As Adam leaned over his brother, starting to shave under his nose, their eyes met momentarily and both their hearts skipped a beat. Caleb looked up at the ceiling, highly conscious of his brothers fingertips touching his face. Adam tried to concentrate on the task at hand, taken aback by the way his stomach fluttered.

Soon he was done. Caleb really didn't have that much of a stubble. Adam took a step back to admire his job and got more than he had asked for. Caleb looked up at him as if dazed, his lips slightly parted, looking utterly adorable, untidy as he was, with the towel already sliding off one of the shoulders and gel residue all over his face. At that moment, Adam felt his body moving on its own as he reached out and slid his fingers along Caleb's cheek as if to confirm the stubble was gone for good. Then, he leaned down and very lightly brushed his lips over Caleb's.

What the hell am I doing?! Adam thought a second later. Taking a hold of himself, he managed to grimace and say in a playful tone, "Much more kissable, see? Kelly will be happier like this."

"Kelly's just my friend," Caleb muttered, taken aback. So it was all a joke... It had not been an actual kiss. Adam had just been teasing him, right?

"Whatever. Go wash your face, it's almost three now," Adam said, wondering if he should try a career in acting. He barely believed he could remain so cool when his insides were in such turmoil.

Still quite dazed, Caleb rinsed his cheeks with handfuls of water, avoiding his lips where he still felt the heat from Adam's. He then grabbed his guitar case from his room before heading downstairs.

"So, you play the guitar, huh?" Adam asked, to avoid awkward silences.

Caleb nodded. "Actually, at the band I play the drums, but I really like the guitar too."