Chapter Four: Nameless

“I’m going to rehearse with the band this afternoon, you wanna come?” Caleb asked.

Adam lifted his eyes from the breakfast pancakes and gazed at him, trying to figure out if he was inviting out of obligation or really wanting him to come. He saw only what he had already guessed. Caleb was looking back at him, raising his brows high over his chocolate eyes, clearly hoping for a “yes”.

“You should go, you need to go out more,” their mother said, before he had the time to answer himself. “You spent the whole week at home”

“I don’t need to go out, I have my books,” Adam said, a bit annoyed. He still wasn’t comfortable with Gina’s behavior towards him, though he was not comfortable telling her so, either. She was pretty nice, and he was sure she loved him the way only a mother can. But she seemed to be trying all the time to force the sadness out of him when he felt perfectly ok with his quiet moments reading. In the first few days after his father died he couldn’t even concentrate enough to read, which was pretty uncommon in him, so him staying at home reading just meant he was getting better.

“Aw, come on, it will be fun,” Caleb insisted, mistaking his brother's words for a refusal.

“I’ll go, I’d like to hear you guys play.”

“That’s great, dear,” Gina said, delighted.

“If you think your friends won’t mind me there…” Adam added.

“Oh, they won’t,” Caleb said, with a dismissive gesture, just before getting up to put his plate in the dishwasher. “I have to tell Kelly to get some extra snacks for us, though.”

As he watched his brother lean near the sink holding his cellphone to his hear, Adam thought how oddly close he felt to this guy, closer than he felt to his mother or her husband, being the three of them the only people he really knew in this new town so far. Maybe it was because their ages were closer, he thought, or maybe it’s something that happens after you shamelessly soak some guy’s shirt with snot.

“…’cause my brother is coming,” Caleb said to his friend Kelly through the phone.

“Aw, we’re finally going to meet him!” Her excitement dropped into a conspiratorial tone. “Is he cute? And don’t you dare I-can’t-say-‘cause-I’m-a-man me!”

Caleb rolled his eyes and peeked at Adam, who as looking him back with an amused face. His blue eyes shined brightly now, contrasting with his alabaster skin, and his smile even showed a dimple in his right cheek.

“Huh… yeah, kinda is,” Caleb answered, blushing a slight pink. 

Kelly rejoiced and Caleb decided to hang up before she got too excited and asked any more embarrassing questions.

Adam wondered what could be making Caleb so self-conscious. A little more than a week had passed since they met each other, yet he could already tell embarrassment was not common for his brother.

“We’re leaving at three, is that ok?” Caleb asked.

Adam nodded. “It’s not like I have a full schedule, or anything,” he pointed out. “The attic is already clean and all.”

“You might prefer to spend a little more time with your books,” Caleb said, with a mocking tone. Not being much of a reader himself, he couldn’t really understand his brother’s little obsession.

“Well, you should try it sometime,” Adam said, disregarding his brother’s tone. “I’m reading an awesome Agatha Christie’s thriller right now, called And Then They Were None. It’s about ten people who don’t know each other and are invited to a house in an island by some mysterious person, who they can’t find anywhere when they arrive, and then they start dying one by one…”