Prologue: See you next summer...

This was it. Summer was over. It was time to return to the human realm... Luz's first home that won't quite feel like home.

Luz turned to her friends. They felt like a second family to her. All of them stood on the front lawn of the Owl House, tears shining in each of their eyes (Eda and Lilith were hiding the fact that there were tears involved. Lilith is more successful.) Luz first turned to Willow and Gus. Her first friends that she made after she first arrived at the Boiling Isles. The waterworks burst forth as they all hugged tightly in their group hug.

"Y-you better come b-back, Luz. Our shenanigans are no f-fun without you." Willow said through her tears. Gus just sobbed in agreement, unable to speak without crying more.

"G-guys, I promise, I-I will," Luz cried. Giving one final squeeze, Luz stepped out of the hug. Willow rubbed Gus's back as he, now, sobbed into his hands. She looked to Luz, her eyes saying 'Gus will be better in a bit'. Luz nodded slowly, then turned and walked up to Eda, Lilith, and King. Lilith, after her small redemption, when they went to rescue Eda from being turned into stone which feels not so long ago, has been slowly adjusting to the chaotic life at the Owl House. At least her younger sister can help with the side-effects of the curse.

"I'm gonna miss you, Eda," Luz said smiling, more tears brimming in her eyes.

"I'm not gonna miss you one bit." Eda's voice cracked at the end, her eyes giving away her sadness. "Come here, kid!" Eda immediately enveloped her human into a parallel arm thing.

"Hey, don't forget me!" King squeaked from the ground. Luz scooped him up and he joined the tearful hug. Eda looked at Lilith, who was standing awkwardly to the side. Eda inclined her head toward the hug. "You too, Lily." Lilith came over slowly. Eda sighed and pulled her, Lilith making a yelp. Lilith looked at the hugging group, smiled, and hugged back, tears finally spilling from her eyes. It looked like they were a family, together and whole in this crazy, freakish world.

"Here come Hooty!" Hooty exclaimed joyously. Stretching from the door, the owl tube demon encircled the group to hug them as best he could. Everyone grunted and sighed with slight annoyance, but let it slide for today. Finally, everyone pulled away from the hug and Luz turned to the last person she hadn't hug yet. Amity. (Luz wanted to save the best hug for last.) She was standing to the side somewhat awkwardly, her gaze toward the portal door.

"Hey, Amity.." Luz said gently as she walked up to the green-haired witch. Amity tore her gaze away from the portal and turned to her crush. She's never dared to tell Luz now, and if Amity told her now, Luz might leave and never come back and hang onto the awkward thought for the rest of the time she lives in the human realm. Amity blushed as she met Luz's watery eyes and smiled at her. "Hey, human." Luz chuckled at the nickname she was given all that time ago when she first came to Hexside, and she and Amity had a not-so-simple, quite disastrous introduction to each other.

Luz looked away, reached out, and intertwined her fingers with Amity's, causing a dark blush to appear on the witch's cheek and her mind screaming from the loving physical contact.

"I'm really going to miss you, Amity," Luz muttered sadly to her, the human's eyes looking at their clasped hands.

"M-me too, Luz." Amity stammered back. Her brows furrowed, wondering why Luz wasn't meeting her gaze again. Luz made a sniffling sound, looked up at Amity, fresh tears forming in her brown eyes, and immediately hugged Amity, her face burying itself into Amity's shoulder and neck.

Luz, in truth, really didn't want to leave the Boiling Isles, going where her friends can't go because they're different. Her heart ached, thinking about it. But the reality of it was, her mother would worry if she didn't come back home when she was supposedly at that camp her mother sent her off to at the beginning of summer. 

Amity hugged her friend back tightly, rubbing the small of Luz's back in comfort, ignoring the gazes of everyone else. Amity's own eyes formed tears as she knew this would be the last time Luz would be here with her... Well, until Luz's next summer rolls around, but from what Luz had told her, it would take a very long time until then. She let her tears fall, not scared to show this kind of weakness in saying goodbye, er- see you later.

Luz finally lifted her head and touched foreheads with Amity, Amity's growing blush going unnoticed by the human. "Thanks for accepting me as a friend... And for the dance." Amity was confused for a second until she realized Luz was talking about the Grom Dance. Luz bravely volunteered to take Amity's place in fighting Grom, but in the end, it took both of them to defeat Grom while enjoying themselves in a dance together. Amity smiled. "It was my pleasure, Luz."

Luz stepped away, looking up at the witch, smiling, then walked and grabbed her bag that laid next to the portal. Luz turned around, the view of all of her friends meeting her eyes. She was about to lift her hand to wave, but Gus had made a noise and everyone turned to him. "Hold on one second." He mumbled to himself. Willow muttered to him curiously, "Are you sure you can do it right this time?" Gus didn't reply, doing what he was doing with his tongue sticking out to the side. Then making some circles with his fingers, with Gus's illusion magic, a shot of light sprung up from his fingers and exploded above him. The words read 'See you next summer!', then another light shot up saying, 'We miss you!' Willow did a mini cheer and both her and Gus high-fived. Luz smiled at the words and chuckled because Gus had probably practiced a lot after failing the first time he tried doing it. 

So with shining eyes and one last smile, Luz waved goodbye to everyone and stepped through the portal, going back to the human world.

A/N: First fanfic that I'm actually publishing :D I'm excited and nervous about how this story will turn out, but I hope y'all will like it.
A bit of background info on how I came up with the idea of TOH Broken AU. I did a doodle of soft Amity while 'paying attention' to my literature class's discussion. My brain kinda went on auto-pilot when the idea of what the Luz doodle to go with it would be. Once it was done, I instantly came up with the name b/c Luz just looked so dead inside. The complete opposite of canon Lux >:3c I wonder where this will story go hue hue~