Chapter Five - Subterfuge

Perhaps he had spoken too quickly when promising that Stephan would not be alone.

Herobrine walked quietly down a hallway in his Nether mansion, hands folded behind his back in an effort to keep himself from clenching them at his sides. It had been around five hours since he had left his brother to his own devices, and an hour since he had last received a report from the mobs of the palace. Evidently he found the library quite interesting, as he had spent the past four hours there. Though that should imply that he was still there, the elder couldn't quite ignore the nagging feeling that something was wrong.

Herobrine passed through the library doorway, making his way towards a little area towards the back he had been told that Stephan was using. He really did wish he could spend more time with him. He would invite him into his meetings with Notch, but refrained from doing so for Stephan's own sake. Not only would he more than likely be confused and bored, but their discussions of their former captors may stir up bad memories. Stephan had endured the worse treatment by far, which is why he tried to spare him from dredging up more memories than he could help.

Herobrine stepped out from behind a bookshelf, only to find that the bench that Stephan had previously occupied was empty.

Herobrine spun around, reaching out with his consciousness to try and find him in his realm. He was still here, around the mansion somewhere, which alleviated his concern somewhat, but he worried for his safety even with the stern orders he had given his mobs - to keep him safe at any cost. He could have angered a pigman- piglin, that is, by accident, or tumbled off a balcony. He didn't seem to be in pain...

Or he could simply be exploring, and he was overreacting. Still, he couldn't help but worry.

Caught up in his anxiety, Herobrine didn't notice the approaching footsteps until Stephan turned the corner and appeared right in front of him.

"Oh!" His little brother exclaimed, nearly bumping into him as he came to a halt. "Are you finished?" Herobrine nodded.

"We are. Where were you?"

"Ah..." Stephan's face flushed red. "I was..." Beside him, a little furry head popped up with a Wither skeleton's femur in its mouth. Herobrine raised an eyebrow. "Apples... saw a skeleton and bolted?" Steve managed with a chuckle. "I had to chase her halfway around the castle." Herobrine smirked.

"I see."

"I uh, won't bring her again." Stephan rubbed his arm. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, it's nothing to worry about." Herobrine waved him off. "Wither skeletons are, as Notch would say, a dime a dozen." Steve blinked owlishly at him, but didn't pursue an explanation.

"Okay. Are we ready to go home?"

"We are."

*

For the first time in weeks, Steve woke up in bed with Herobrine lying beside him.

The miner mumbled blearily, blinking eyes open and squinting around the dark room. Herobrine was fast asleep, eyes half open but turned the other way. A quick scan of the room revealed that he was in Herobrine's bed, rather than his own, and wondered briefly how he got there. He didn't recall going to sleep here. Maybe he had sleepwalked? Or had a reaction to a dream, and Herobrine moved him here? Whatever dream he had was already fading away, and with it any traces of fear it brought.

Sighing, he rolled over, pressing his back against his housemate's. He didn't feel scared, or upset, or really anything but tired. What had woken him? Was his body this unused to sleeping through the night?

Herobrine shifted a bit against him, and he tried to relax. He was supposed to get up at the crack of dawn, and wouldn't be able to if he was up half the night. Although, he could definitely sleep in Herobrine's library. Maybe the change of settings would keep the nightmares away.

Or he could go explore that server some more.

He shivered, shoving the thought from his mind. The very proposal frightened him, so why did the thought refuse to leave his mind?? The part of him that still longed for adventure had been awoken, and was jumping at the chance to explore an inhabited world, see all the amazing things that people had built (And maybe help those poor villagers?). He could feel his heart thumping in anticipation, fluttering in his chest at the idea.

"What's wrong?" Herobrine's whispered voice startled him, and he gasped.

"Oh." He managed. "I thought you were asleep? Nothing, I'm..."

Herobrine shifted, rolling over to try and catch his eye. "Tell me."

"Nothing, I promise." Steve shot him a smile over his shoulder. "Good memories, for once, not bad."

"Ah." He shifted back, and Steve closed his eyes, shifting one hand to his heart to try and calm the beat. The exhaustion was creeping back, a welcome feeling when experienced without the dizziness and nausea of a weakness potion.

"Why'm I in your bed?" He whispered before he could think better of it. Hero was quiet for a moment.

"You were in distress."

"Oh." Steve leaned his head back to press it against Herobrine's shoulder. "Thank you."

"Hm."

The two lay in quiet for a while longer, and it wasn't until long after Steve was sure Brine was asleep that he dared to let himself dream of exploring again.