Chapter Eighteen - Recall

Caden sank down onto the clean, neat bed, turning his phone over in his hands as he looked around the spacious room. It was lightly furnished, minimally decorated, as was the standard for a guest bedroom. Notch had told him he could change anything about it that he liked, though, since he wasn't sure how long he would be staying. When he'd asked, he'd been told that he could stay as long as he wanted.

Several shopping bags lay at his feet, his spoils from the shopping trip to a local department store that he and Notch had just returned from. His host had given him free reign with his credit card, saying he could get anything he wanted. Caden had tried to be frugal out of respect, but the concept of being able to get anything he wanted with no limit on funds had gotten him a bit carried away. Notch, as he had assured him, was excessively rich.

Overall, he'd only gotten a few changes of clothes and a spare pair of shoes - and some snacks. Notch had picked up some groceries as well, making a comment about how he tended to eat the same thing every day. Caden didn't tell him that he had been all but living off of instant noodles and cafeteria meals for the past few months.

Notch had given him a light update on what his and Herobrine's progress had been on finding the buyers, but didn't overwhelm him with information. Caden was thankful, he was still very worn out from the all-nighter he'd pulled fleeing from his dorm. He had stressed for nearly the entire flight, paranoid that one of his pursuers had tracked him and somehow snuck aboard, but of course nothing had happened to him.

Notch had mentioned that the threat he was sent might be trackable, and requested access to his laptop later to check it out, which Caden gladly agreed to. The sooner those people were dealt with, the better.

Caden leaned back, sinking onto his back on the mattress. He needed to shower, but he probably needed another nap first. He marveled at the abrupt change in his situation as he lay there. He had called Notch for help, but he had never expected this.

Even after all he'd done, kidnapped and tormented his creations not once, but twice, Notch's first instinct upon hearing that he was in danger was to whisk him across the country to get him as far away as possible from those who threatened him. Not only that, but he brought him to his own home and provided food, clothing, and anything else he might need. Caden knew he didn't deserve such kindness. Notch must be a truly good person to treat someone who wronged him so much like this. He had even (casually) offered to replace his phone, which was nearly eight years old at this point.

Caden felt a lump rising in his throat, and he laid his forearm across his face as his eyes began to well up with tears. Notch never even mentioned repayment... how was he supposed to thank him for this? It was too much... more than he deserved.

...is this what it felt like to have a parent who cared?

**

Steve watched as the milk bucket lifted up from the ground, then, a moment later, Herobrine appeared.

Steve waited a moment for Herobrine to check himself over, ensuring the potion effect was gone, then setting down the bucket before he asked, "What did you think?"

Herobrine pursed his lips, looking resentful. "I did not enjoy it." When Steve's face fell, however, he continued. "But it was... acceptable. The players did not mistreat you. We can go back."

"Thank you." Steve broke into a grin again. "Are you sure you want to come with?"

"Yes." Herobrine turned away, marching off towards the barn to care for the animals. Steve sighed quietly before following. He was so paranoid... Steve knew why, of course, but... he wished it didn't affect him so much still.

Herobrine was unusually quiet for the remainder of the afternoon, making and eating dinner in near silence. Steve tried to make light conversation, to which he responded, but only in short, simple answers. By the end of the evening, Steve had just resolved to leave him to brood.

As they prepared for bed, however, he spoke up.

"Stephan." Steve looked up from where he was unlacing his boots, finding Herobrine watching him from where he stood on the other side of his bed. "Did I ever tell you... what happened that made me the way that I am?"

"What?" Steve paused in his task. "What do you mean?"

"Why I hate players. Why I look like..." he gestured to his eyes. "This."

"I thought you hated players because of Caden. When he... impersonated Notch."

"No, that was a result of my hatred." Herobrine shook his head. "The cause was long before I met you... long before you were even created." Steve sat back.

"I... don't think you have."

"I used to be called Steven, then," Herobrine went on. "I was... so much like you. I wanted to explore everything that Notch created, that the players built off of. I snuck off without his permission to do so. But when I tried to introduce myself to the players, they attacked me. They nearly destroyed me." Steve stared, shock and horror on his face.

"Notch put me back together." Herobrine finished. "For the most part. But scars remained," he gestured to his face. "And I became bitter, and angry. I began traveling to other worlds not to explore, but to destroy." He shrugged a bit. "Caden was one of my victims." At Steve's face, he elaborated. "He himself was not hurt, players are not affected by what happens to their avatars. But he was angry that I destroyed his world, and hunted me down. Notch denying my existence only made him more determined to prove it."

"Why did Notch-?" Steve stammered.

"To avoid what happened to us." Herobrine sank down on the edge of his bed. "To avoid everyone knowing that he had a truly sentient AI. If I had simply followed instructions, he wouldn't have had to. And Caden never would have hurt me." He paused, turned to look at his brother again.

"I don't tell you this to guilt you... or for pity. I simply wanted to explain why this entire situation makes me so uneasy."

"Because it resembles the situation that..." Steve trailed off.

"Yes." Steve said nothing, not sure how to respond. Herobrine was quiet for a few moments as well, then stood, breaking his bed and collecting the item. Before Steve could even ask what he was doing, it was placed back down, directly beside his own.

"What?" He asked after a moment.

"I need to be able to keep an eye on you." Herobrine flipped a lever, turning off the redstone lamps.

"What??" Steve frowned, and his brother quickly went on.

"For my own sake." He sat down on the edge of his mattress. "I anticipate having... anxious dreams tonight. I wish to be able to locate you as quickly as possible when I inevitably wake up."

"Oh." Steve climbed onto his own bed, now pinned between Herobrine's and the wall. "Alright."

"Goodnight, Stephan." Herobrine's glowing eyes closed, and Steve lay down, facing him.

He had a lot to think about tonight.