January 2nd: Where is your character today and what are they doing?

Entry Style: School

January 2nd, 2010

Time: 11:56am

The infernal math class has finally come to an end, though what comes next is not much better. Lunch - a dangerous every-changing game of where to sit, what to eat, and who to avoid. This game is not so much ever-changing for me - I sit in my usual tolerated spot with the robotics team, eat the same school-sanctioned hamburger, and avoid the enemies I do every day. Jeremy seems excited about the upcoming competition, but I will attempt to drown it out per usual, as it is none of~

The composition book was snatched out of the young writers hands, followed by the obnoxious laughter of the thief. Derby huffed angrily before standing up, glaring up at the 7th grade boys.

“The infestual math class has finally come to an end!” Chaz began to read aloud, prompting laughter from the adjacent tables.

“Give it back!” Derby whined, reaching for it while Chaz held it up out of his reach. “You can’t even read the big words anyway.” Despite his protests, the 7th grader went on.

“Though what comes next is not much better!” Chaz faked a gasp as he looked up from the notebook, before continuing. “Lunch! How absolutely terrifying!” Most of the cafeteria had their eyes on the two, watching if not enjoying the scene. The smaller boy jumped in an attempt to retrieve his journal, but to no avail. “This is so boring, Dweeby, no poems?” Chaz taunted, flipping through the pages.

“That’s not a creative literature journal, Charles,” the younger of the boys retorted. “Kindly return it to me.” He jumped again, knowing they wouldn’t give it back until they were satisfied but trying anyway, as if one of these days his jump would be high enough.

“Chaz?” An unfamiliar voice asked timidly. Derby peered around his bully, seeing a girl he didn’t recognize. There had been some buzz around the school about the mid-year transfer, but he hadn’t heard much about her. Or even that it was a her. She looked at Chaz with a curious look in her eyes. “You invited me to lunch?”

“I did!” Chaz said with a cool smile, his victim momentarily forgotten. “I wanted to read you some of my poetry so you could get to know me.” He turned to be next to her, loping his arm over her shoulders.

“Oh? Go ahead, read me a poem.” she said, staring up at him expectantly. The boy’s face filled with surprise, or maybe even panic, before he covered it up and began flipping through the journal, much to Derby’s dismay. He wanted to speak up, but with the new girl there he felt unable to.

“Uhh, guess I grabbed the wrong journal!” Chaz said with a forced laugh, unable to find anything to work with.

“You’re damn right you did.” The girl said, yanking the notebook out of Chaz’s hands. “This isn’t yours, and you’re a jerk. Fuck off.” She then crossed over to Derby, and offered him the notebook with a smile. “I believe this belongs to you.”

I looked at this girl, her dark mahogany hair flowing down her back, defiance shining through her pale blue eyes, wondering why on Earth a girl like her would defend a guy like me. For now, I suppose I’ll be putting that question aside. I took back the notebook, thanking her for her help, and she insisted on joining me for lunch. I believe I’ve made a friend, if I do say so myself...