An Interview with the reclusive Multibillionaire Thomas H. Adams

26 Jun 2052

"Thank you for your time Mr. Adams." said a very nervous but very highly respected news anchor, Paul Knight. Paul was at the top of his profession having worked in journalism for more than 40 years. He had anchored TV news shows right around the world and every network wanted him to work for them. But here he was interviewing a 95-year-old man and he was as nervous as a newborn kitten. During his career he had done stories and interviewed the world's richest and most famous, the worlds most powerful and of course many unknowns. So why was he so nervous now?

  Mr. Adams was just a man with a lot of money but there was something about him that put Paul on edge. Mr. Adams knew things before they happened and so had capitalized on them to now be the richest man in the world. He had sent a letter to Paul 38 years ago when Paul was a struggling reporter on a local news station in North Queensland.

 Even then Mr. Adams was well known and was probably already the richest man, though he never appeared on BRW's rich list. It was rumoured back then that he could buy and sell companies like Apple and Microsoft if he chose to. It was certain he had large holdings in both these and many more mega companies but he never took over the running of them. Instead he would stand in the background and with uncanny ability would one day sell shares in a company at their peak when everybody was trying to buy them. The next day something would happen and the prices would plummet. Sometimes he would buy back his shares and then the company would then go on to record profits. If he didn't buy them back then it usually meant the end of the company.

 The share market was only a part of his wealth creation but it is the easiest to explain. He made Warren Buffet look like an amateur. But some of his other schemes were far more obtuse. Some did make a lot of money some were more for the good of mankind.

 Paul Knight received the letter in 2014. It had arrived on his desk at the WIN TV News office in Townsville, Queensland, Australia just after Christmas before New Year. Such is the life of a struggling news reporter having to work over the holiday period. The letter was short and succinct.

Dear Mr. Knight.

 I am writing this letter for a number of reasons. First and foremost is to assure you that the feelings of misgivings you are currently experiencing regarding journalism are unfounded. You will be doing yourself and the world a disservice should you resign, as I know you are contemplating.

 Secondly if you don't already know who I am then I will be very disappointed in you but this letter will give you a chance to rectify any areas you are lacking in that department.

 Thirdly and this is the important one for me. I want you to interview me on 26th of June 2052. At this point of your career you will resign all positions you have with all networks. It will be the last interview that you ever do. But don't think it is the end of your career. Far from it you will live extremely well on the profits of the story I will relate to you and you will work hard for many years after that publicising my story and advancing my works.

 There is no need to contact me or do anything other than familiarise yourself with my work between now and then. I will send you a reminder on your 58th birthday, 25 Jun 2052 and tell you where the hover-plane will pick you up.

 Yours Sincerely

 THOMAS H ADAMS