Chapter 19 22 January 1901

22 January 1901

I awoke next to Jackie. “Hello,” I said. “What day is it today?”

Jackie gave a little giggle and said, “You ask me that everyday.”

“Well, I am never sure. Making a mistake by a minute or two in 1968 can make a big difference here. I know it is 22 January but which year?”

“1901.”

I had the right year and now to find out what had happened to Jackie during the year after I didn’t burn the house down. “Good. Tell me about the past year.”

“I don’t know what to tell you. You have been here most days. You sound a bit confused so, sure, I will tell you but get dressed first and I will explain over a cuppa and the milking.”

“After we won the money at the races last year we_.”

I interrupted her and said, “How old was I when we went to the races?”

“Ten.”

“There was only one of me?”

“Of course.”

My head was in a spin again. So this is what the letter from my older self meant. That when you do something, you can fix it but because you have fixed it you don’t have to fix the next time around. Something about a different starting point.

 “Sorry, go on.” I apologised.

“Well, after we won the money we put most of it in the bank. We won more money at the Nashville Show and Fair. We have had the cow bails concreted, but other than that not much really.”

“What did I do while you went to school?”

“Not sure really. At the show you bought a bow and arrow and have been practicing with that a fair bit. But not much else except helping mum.”

“Does Jock still walk you to school?”

“Yes. But he doesn’t seem to like you.”

“Have I got a slingshot?”

“No. Why would you have a slingshot?”

“Has Jock got one?”

“Yes, of course he has, it is pocket all the time. He is always shooting sparrows on the way to school. I think he is going to drop out of school this year though. His dad needs him and he is not doing so well.”

My mind wandered back to the days training with Jock, boxing and the slingshot. Not to mention the schoolwork we had done together. I was sure he had picked up in his schoolwork. And I was sure he was my best friend in the 1900s. I guess changes for me have impacted on him too. But whereas I get to keep my skills it seems he doesn’t know he ever had them. Hardly seems fair.