Chapter 2: Taking The Reins

A couple of minutes had passed since Atago ran off to get the others, but it was more than enough time for the commander to catch his breath and allow himself to get a better view of his surroundings: The shrine that he was at looked like it was being maintained every minute as there was not a single leaf left on the floor, every part of the shrine itself shined like it had been built yesterday, the whole place looked absolutely marvelous.

"So, this is where I'll be commanding, huh?" The commander chuckles to himself as he stands tall and looks at Ayanami. "This won't be so bad after all."

"Huh?" Ayanami asks as she notices that the commander is looking at her. "What are you looking at me for?"

"It's nothing, I was spacing out a little bit." The commander replies. Eventually Atago returns and three more girls accompany her this time: One of them looks a lot like Atago, save for the fact that she has tied her hair back into a ponytail and her ears droop down. Instead of a tight skirt she has a more flared one and she also wears black school shoes. At her side is a katana, ready to be unsheathed at a moment's notice.

"So, this is the shikikan we've been expecting?" The girl asks. "Pleased to make your acquaintance. This humble Takao will be under your command soon, so don't let me down."

"So wait, what is this... Shikikan thing you girls are talking about?" The commander asks back. Initially Atago looks at the commander with a dumbfounded expression, but Takao quickly picks up.

"It's our name for commander, sorry that we didn't clarify that earlier." Takao says. "You're clearly not from here so it'll take a bit to get accustomed to our traditions. Where are you from anyway?"

"South of the Dragon Empery." The commander replies.

"Wait, you're from the Dragon Empery?" Ayanami asks.

"Well, just south of it." The commander replies. "I hold different customs than those people. Hopefully they don't clash with you guys."

"I don't know honestly, I haven't been to your land before so I wouldn't be able to say anything." Takao says.

"Now who are these two behind you?" The commander asks, noticing the two fox girls just behind Takao and Atago. One of them sports long brownish hair and crimson eyes that have been highlighted with makeup. She wears a mostly black and red outfit with gold details that highlights her long legs, clad in black stockings and red sandals. The other girl looks like she could be a twin, save for the fact that she has short white hair and blue eyes, and her outfit is mostly white and blue.

"Well, I'm Akagi." The brown haired girl says. "And this is my sister Kaga. As of currently we've been leading the Sakura Empire."

"I'm humbled to meet you two, I've heard a few stories about you." The commander replies, but he extends his hand out of instinct, confusing Akagi for a few seconds. Eventually she realizes what the commander wants and she shakes hands with him. "Sorry."

"Oh no, it's okay." Akagi says. "I just didn't realize this was a part of your customs." Kaga on the other hand has not said a word, something that catches the commander's attention.

"How are you today?" The commander asks Kaga, but she simply side eyes him.

"Good." Kaga replies gruffly. "You're the shikikan that's destined to lead us?" She scoffs before Akagi nudges her. "I mean... I'm under your orders now."

"So, where will I be staying?" The commander asks.

"Follow me, I will lead you to your new home." Akagi replies as she beckons the commander to follow her. "Do you have a name you go by? Or would you rather we just call you Shikikan to make it easier?"

"I think just calling me Shikikan will do just fine. My name might be very hard to pronounce for many." The commander, henceforth known as Shikikan, says as Akagi leads him away from the shrine and towards the bustling "city". Everyone is busy doing their own thing and the walkways are somewhat crowded, forcing Shikikan to lightly cling to Akagi's arm so he doesn't lose her. Fortunately it's not very long before Akagi comes to a stop and Shikikan sees his new home- a fairly large complex fit for a shogun.

"Why don't you explore your new home yourself? I have some things to tend to, so I'll probably see you later." Akagi says as she tosses Shikikan the keys to the house and walks off, greeting various passerbys as she goes.