Chapter 1: Shikikan Is Not Shikikan?!

"Haaah! Hopefully my Japanese is fluent enough for me to talk with these girls!" A voice calls out. It was not very uncommon to see more conventional ships floating around, especially when it came to surveillance as the shipgirls themselves were much more valuable and reserved for more serious battles. Just off to the coast of the Sakura Empire a small gunboat is seen making it's course there. It's designed much more differently than those of the Sakura Empire and neighboring nations, and the commander of this ship is no different. He sports short black hair and mellow brown eyes, and his uniform has different designs than those of other nations. "I'm not sure how well the girls are going to react, but at least I gave them a heads up..." He mumbles to himself as he reaches the Sakura Empire docks.

"Hey... Who is that over there?" Another voice asks as someone rushes over to the docks. She sports long blonde hair that's tied back in a ponytail and amber eyes, and she wears a sailor uniform with detached sleeves and a short skirt. Her legs are clad in white stockings and she wears red heels, and sticking out from her head like horns are two antenna-like pieces. "Who are you?"

"I'm the commander that you guys were expecting." The commander replies.

"Are you sure you're the commander we're looking for? You don't quite look like it." The girl says as she proceeds to pull out a buster sword that's half her height. "If you're not that commander, then I, Ayanami, will strike you down where you stand."

"I can assure you I'm the commander you're looking for!" The commander quickly says, not wanting to get chopped in half by Ayanami. It's then that she sees the universal sleeve insignias denoting the commander of his status, and only then does she back down, putting away her sword and looking abashed at her actions.

"Sorry... I thought you were an intruder." Ayanami replies. "You really are the shikikan we are looking for. Now follow me, I have to introduce you to the others."

"...Shikikan?" The commander asks, but before he can say anything else Ayanami grabs him by the hand and leads him off of his ship and further into the land of the Sakura Empire itself. "Oi! Ayanami! At least let me get a grip!"

"No time for that." Ayanami replies as the commander does his best to keep up, much to the humor of those watching. The commander attempts to break Ayanami's grip on his hand so he can pace himself but she refuses to let go.

"Geez she is quick footed..." The commander says in his head as he continues to be led around by the demon-looking girl. "So this is the Sakura Empire?" He asks out loud.

"Yep, this is the Sakura Empire for you." Ayanami replies. "I know, it's very beautiful considering you're not from here."

"How much longer will we be running along like this?" The commander asks, and Ayanami looks ahead of her. The commander also does the same and he sees a shrine up ahead.

"Not much longer." Ayanami replies. "We'll be there soon." After some more brisk walking, Ayanami and the commander reach their destination and the commander flops onto the ground, winded by Ayanami's sudden intervention.

"Oh my! Are you okay?" A more mature sounding voice asks, and the commander musters enough strength to lift his head up to see a pair of white heels and black stockings before him. "Hey, I'm up here~"

"Huh?" The commander asks as he slowly gets back on his feet and locks eyes with the girl before him. She has long black hair with dog ears, and she has yellow eyes. She wears a white military uniform with a very tight skirt, and she is very well endowed. "Who are you?"

"I'm Atago." The girl replies. "I assume you've already made yourself acquainted with Ayanami here?"

"I have, yes." The commander says.

"Here, I'll get the others to where we are so you can catch your breath." Atago replies. "It looks like Ayanami gave you quite the rush."

"Sorry." Ayanami says again as Atago rushes off.

"I'm not even commanding them yet, and already I can tell things are going to get crazy..." The commander mumbles in his head as he waits for Atago to come back.