Prologue: The Rain

It is raining outside and everything is crestfallen. The wind is too cold to bear and the sadness is too heavy to cease from crying. It was just a week ago when mom past away, leaving our melancholic world hopeless to see the face of the sky again. I have not left the house since then. Tuesday is supposed to be hectic. I have all projects scheduled to be done and passed by tomorrow, but my body is too weak to work on those crap or even go to school. I have hardly seen water from the shower. I want to go with my mom, wherever she is right now. The life I have here is now nothing but a piece of junk floating in a filthy swamp that'll soon be buried and forgotten.

Dad, surely, is in the living room watching TV for 24 hours. I'm pretty sure he has not left the couch much. I saw that foods were scattered on the center table like garbage in the dump. I pity him, but I pity myself more. He has been with mom for almost all his life. They were childhood sweethearts. Maybe, that's why he's so devastated. But, me, I'm just fifteen, and feeling orphan. Being the only child in a family, having everything is also losing everything in the end. But, I never felt so alone especially that mom is gone.

"Lexy? Lexy?"

"Mom, is that you?

"Get up now honey. School's in 10 minutes!"

"Okay, mom. I'm coming!?"

Shit! Why do I have to answer her voices talking to me though I know that she's gone? I can't stop her whispers in my ears like they're part of the cold blows of the rain.

"Lexy? Lexy?"

"Mom?"

I think I have to cry! It hurts that she's gone and will never come back to us again. The rest of the rain fell from my eyes! They gently flow interminably for days now.

"Mom? Why did you have to go and leave us? Why do we have to part like this. You know we aren't ready? I will never be! Mom, if there's a way for you to come back, please, please do!"

The rain fell hard and I can't even hear myself sobbing childishly. I saw the trees shake outside from the window near my bed. Some water trickle inside where I sit but they are not enough to move me from where I'm glued at, crying my heart out. I screamed as I cry but I know no one can hear me with this continuously strong tip tap on the roof.

Then the rain suddenly stopped, literally sudden, in a split of a second. It intrigued me seeing the sun brightly shining outside. I stopped crying as well. It was very anti-climactic. The water on the leaves of the trees glittered, then, gone. I went off from my bed and slowly walked towards the window. Everything is dry now, as if it never rained for a week.

"Dad?" I called, almost shouting.

I went downstairs and saw the clatter on the table is gone. It smelled like somebody is cooking ham and egg for breakfast. I slowly tiptoed towards the kitchen the sound of the frying pan against the oil and whatever-it-is-being fried is getting louder as I get closer. And... my eyes grew big with what I saw... "MOM!"