Disguise

Brielle’s theme song: Not Me by Nina Nesbitt

Thank you for being patient with me :) Hope you'll like this chapter <3

*

“Where are you going?”

Uh oh. I plan on not running on anyone today as I go on with my plan, but Nate catches me just before I leave. “I’ll just buy some things,” I say, which is half true.

Kyle’s already on his way to the parking lot. Today, he’ll meet with Charlie. And I’m ready to follow them.

But first, I need to deal with Nate.

“Are you sure you can go out on your own?”

“Of course,” I say, “I’m not a child.”

He shrugs. “Fine. Call me if you get lost.”

Nate looks a bit dejected. I also feel guilty for hiding what I’m about to do, so before I leave, I give him a hug. He’s probably surprise because it takes him a few seconds to put his arms around me.

When it’s too long for it to just be a friend’s hug, I start to pull away.

Nate, apparently, doesn’t agree with me because he hugs me tighter.

But. . . but. . . I can’t let Kyle out of my sight. Once he drives away, I won’t be able to follow him.

“Nate. . .”

I hear a soft sigh. Finally, he lets me go. “Make sure you come back soon,” he says. “I’ll wait for you. You still owe me dinner.”

“Okay. Good—“

"Bri.”

“Yes?”

He leans down and plants a kiss on my cheek.

I think my heart has dropped to my stomach. I can’t feel it in my chest.

Why is Nate doing this, is he, what am I, is this the rule number oh my God my thoughts are messed up I can’t even think straight.

“You take care, alright?”

I can’t find my tongue, so I just nod. And just stand there in front of him. My feet are stuck in place.

Nate cocks his eyebrow. “I thought you’re going?” he asks amusedly. He pushes me out of the door and says, “I’ll see you later.”

I manage a smile and then walk briskly to the road before I do something stupid. Or say something not appropriate.

My God.

What just happened?

Brielle, you need to snap out of it! You have a goal in mind. Focus.

My knees are shaking, so I have to pause for a while.

Once I’m out in the highway, I see Kyle’s rented car driving out of the parking lot. His own car is in the house. Because we’re on tour, they’re not allowed to bring their cars with them.

I catch him a few hours ago, on the phone, talking to a car agency.

I turn away when he passes me by, so he won’t see me. I’m not wearing my disguise yet.

Fortunately, it’s not hard to get a cab in this city.

“Where to, Miss?” asks the driver.

I frown. I don’t know—