Rules and Deception

"We're not babies!"

"But if she's our babysitter, I'd be glad to be a baby," Nate says, a smirk playing on the side of his mouth.

Zeke throws one of his sticks at Nate. "Stop flirting with her!"

I look at them oddly, ignoring the word flirting. "I thought I'm the band manager?"

"Don't be silly," Juliane says amusedly. "You're more like their personal assistant."

Confused, I give her a questioning look.

She tucks the loose hair behind her ear and says, "Yes, you are the band manager. But the focus of your work is looking after the band, while me on the other hand, will take care of their record deals, concerts, mall shows, and other businesses."

"But aren't they old enough to be looked after?"

She rolls her eyes and replies, "I wish! But they're like bunch of teenagers."

The band complains in soft voices. Recalling my research about them, I know they all came from the same high school. That means they've known each other for years. But they didn't go to college because as soon as they graduated, they signed a record deal.

"So what am I going to do?" I ask curiously.

"Well, for starters, you're going to live with them—"

"Live with them?" I interrupt.

Oh my God. This is not what I planned. Well, I didn't have a plan in the first place, but this is unexpected.

She purses her lips and says, "I thought we agreed to this?"

Oh no.

Maybe the real band manager did. I can't make them suspicious. Clearing my throat, I say, "Yes, I was just shocked."

"Well, this will change your life," Mr. Handsome says, "But it's work."

"I guess," I mutter.

"You have to go with the band wherever they go," Juliane continues. "You have a day off but sometimes it's complicated and you have to talk to the band about it."

She's still speaking, but all I have in mind is I'm staying with KY and the band. This is absolutely amazing! I fight the urge to jump and down!

The fans know that the band stays at only one place— all four of them. Now I'll join them. I'll be one of their roommates. Just thinking about living in the same roof as KY makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter in excitement. I know there's a glitch in that—

"Hey!"

I jump, startled at the sound. Glancing up, I see Mr. Handsome giving me a disapproving look, while the boys chuckle in amusement.

'You're not listening," he says.

"Sorry," I murmur, embarrassed. "It's just; this is too much to take in."

'I understand. But remember, once you start, you have to focus."

"When will I start?"

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I ask incredulously.

"Yes. Is there a problem with that?"

"No, none," I respond. This is too soon. My heart is hammering inside my chest. Too much. This is too much.

"Brielle, right?" Nate says, "You can sleep with me."

I stop breathing. Why is Nate teasing me? Can't he see I'm shaking all over my body?