Chapter Twenty-Four

Callie woke up alone. She had no idea where Oscar went the night before and burned with curiosity until dawn when he came to bed surrounded by the scent of au-de-freshly-showered-male.  Staying silent almost killed her. What was he doing that required a shower after midnight?  

It was like living with a stranger.

The additional stress of commissionzilla didn't lift her mood. Even if she adjusted her design so it could be split into sections, she wasn't convinced it would fit through her door. and trying to do the Math was giving her a headache.

When her phone rang, she checked the name on the screen and sighed. 

"Hi, mom."

"Hi, sweetie. You didn't call at the weekend."

"Sorry, it's been hectic."

"How's Oscar?"

Less than five seconds into the conversation. She wondered how her mom held out for so long. "Good. He's at work. And I'm fine, thanks for asking."

"I like to think you'd call me if you weren't. I just want to check when you'll be home for the Independence Day weekend. Are you both coming the night before like you usually do?"

Crap. That was next weekend, wasn't it? There was no way she could go home with him and pretend everything was fine.

"I'm not sure what Oscar has planned," she replied airily. "But I'm busy with work, so I can't promise I'll be –"

"What have you done?"

"What makes you think I've done something?"

"If you're not making plans for the holiday together, something's wrong."

Callie tossed the pencil she'd been doodling with aside and flopped back in her chair. An interrogation was the last thing she needed. 

"That automatically means I've done something, does it?"

"Oscar would cover up a murder for you."

"Whereas he's positively angelic. Never been in trouble a day in his life."

"That's what you think?" Her mother's voice sounded amused. "After all this time, I'd have thought you knew him better."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I just think it's wonderful he still has a few surprises up his sleeve. Lord knows, it took you long enough to see him as more than a friend. I've always thought you two -"

"Stop it." Callie pressed her lips together and sought patience. She knew her mom meant well, but she really didn't need another reminder of what she was losing. "I don't want to discuss Oscar with you."

Her mother sighed. "Sweetheart, you know I love you. And we've always been honest with each other about everything..."

"Mom," Callie implored.

"I want you to be happy. I think Oscar makes you happy. You can't keep pushing people away because your father was too stupid to see how special you are."

She swallowed to loosen the thickness in her throat. "I'm not. I don't give a damn about him. He had his chance and he blew it."

It was his loss. She'd decided that a long time ago.

"Yes, he did. But he hurt you and as proud as I am to see you living each day to the full, I don't think you ever forgot how that felt." She paused for a second. "You deserve to be happy. Never forget that."

Great. And now she was welling up.

Suddenly she yearned for one of the duvet days they used to have when she was feeling low. Days when they'd binge on ice cream, watch old Hollywood musicals with a guaranteed happily-ever-after, and sang along at the top of their lungs until their throats hurt, which required more of the frozen confection to soothe them.