Chapter Eleven

Callie waited outside the Times Square station, questioning for the twentieth time if she'd chosen the right outfit. 

In the end, she'd opted for a combination of cute and sexy with a dash of practicality thrown in because she still didn't know where they were going. The cute and sexy part involved a faded denim mini-skirt and off the shoulder gypsy blouse in muted shades of lilac and purple. The practical was in the form of flat, purple deck shoes with white ribbons for laces. She'd pulled her hair up into a high, swinging pony tail, kept her make-up light and fresh, and carried everything she might need in her pockets.  All of which she'd felt fine about when she left her apartment.

It was stupidly hot after the previous night's storm, so her look wasn't out of place in the crowd. And Oscar had hinted they'd be doing tourist-y things, so despite the lack of a souvenir T-Shirt, she still figured she'd hit the right note. 

She just hoped it got a favorable reaction.

Shifting her weight from one foot to the other, she suddenly realized she was chewing on her lower lip and worried about the damage it did to her lipstick. But before she could apply a fresh coat, Oscar exited the station. 

Her heart made the same joyous, twisting leap of recognition it had at Harry's party, her pulse accelerating as she held her breath and waited for him to see her.

As she drank in the sight of him, she wondered why she'd never considered him sexy before. He wasn't dressed any different, his dark hair was just as messy and in need of a trim as it always was, his eyes were just as blue, the familiar smile which appeared on his mouth when he saw her just as warm. Had the recently discovered knowledge of how he kissed been the key to opening her eyes or was there more to it?

Callie cocked her head with curiosity. There was definitely something new about him. 

So, what was it and why hadn't she noticed it sooner?

On the approach to her, his gaze lowered and swept over her body, travelling all the way down to the tips of her toes and back up, lingering on specific areas of interest like her legs and her breasts. When it locked with hers, she sucked in a sharp breath, providing oxygen for the fire he created inside her. 

With just one look, she wanted to be kissed so badly it hurt. 

Did he know he could do that to her? Was it a good idea to let him know? If he did would he tease her about it or give her what she wanted or make her wait until -

Halting in front of her, he placed his hands on her hips, dipped his head and slanted his mouth over hers. There was nothing soft or gentle about it, no hesitation or doubt. He simply kissed her like he'd thought about nothing else since he last saw her and couldn't wait a moment longer.

Callie swayed forwards, her palms flattened on the T-Shirt covering his taut abdomen. She didn't hold back, didn't think about where they were or who was watching. Nothing else mattered. There was only Oscar, his firm lips, the artful swirl of his tongue when she opened her mouth, and need, so much need. Not all if it hers.

When he raised his head, she blinked her eyes open and stared at him in wonder. So much for the theory their second kiss wouldn't be as good as the first.

A grin split his face before he lowered his voice and said, "Hi," in a rich, rough rumble.

Callie chuckled softly. "Hi."

As he lifted a hand from her hip to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear, she slipped her arms around his waist, the exchange so natural it felt like they'd been dating for years.