Chapter 78

Anastasia POV;

We get back to Mum and Dad's house around 21.30 and I run to the door, my siblings smother me in hugs the moment I cross the threshold.

"Annie you're home!" Shout Kara and Tyron excitedly. My anxious gaze meets Mum's tired one, she shakes her head and my shoulders relax as I return Kara and Tyron's hugs.

"You two are up rather late" I raise my brow at them, my lips quirking lovingly.

"They've been dragging their heels hoping to see you both before bed" says Mum, drying a bowl with a tea towel.

"Come on kiddos, lets get you all tucked up and I'll read you a story" grins Kellen, chucking a laughing Tyron over his shoulder and settling Kara on his hip and taking them upstairs.

The action leaves me speechless. I hadn't thought Kellen to be the type of person who would be good with kids, my stomach flips at the sight.

"Is Dad awake?" I ask Mum as I follow Kellen up the stairs.

"He was dozing when I last checked in on him, but he'll have heard you return, I'm sure." She returns, following me up the stairs to Dad's bedroom door.

"I didn't think, Mum. Have you and Dad...?" I trail, unsure of what to say. I didn't want to monopolise Dad's last hours for myself. Afterall, Mum and Dad were mates, I couldn't bare to imagine the loss of my mate. I look round Kara and Tryon's room; the bedside light glowing softly, Kellen lowered voice narrating a bedtime story.

"Your father and I have had a long time to prepare and brace for this" says Mum following my gaze. She kisses my cheek, understanding my unspoken thoughts. "Come." She says opening Dad's bedroom door.

Dad's face flickers a smile at my entry. "You're back early" he whispers croakily, barely audible over his oxygen mask.

I shrug, taking the seat at Dad's bedside "Kellen arranged for us to come back early." I take Dad's skeleton hand and wrap it in my own

"Good man. You braved the worst of it now" he tells me, patting my hands with his free one. The exertion takes the colour from his face.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here for you sooner. I wish you'd told me, Dad." I say, swallowing hard around the thickness in my throat.

"I know darling. You may never have appreciated the choices I made for you..."