Chapter 56

Kellen P.O.V

Everything aches. I have a pounding headache as my eyes open, only to be burned by the brightest light. I curse, I must've fallen asleep in the garden... I wonder if the maid I was with has scurried off back to work? I always hate it when they stick around afterwards. I carefully squint my eyes open again, I wasn't in the garden like I thought - the sounds of beeping echo in the background as my eyes adjust to the new light. Christ, it was bright. It hurts to turn my head, but I could now see the room I was in clearly... what the heck was I doing in hospital?

I must've gone out partying last night, perhaps I got into a fight and that was why I was here? That would suck. Brody never usually lets me get into fights, especially if I'm black out drunk. Oooooh, maybe for once Brody did let his guard down! He's in so much trouble when I get my hands on him, especially if Dad finds out I got into a fight!

Speak of the Devil! Brody enters and immediately seeing me awake, calls for the nurse. "Kel, thank heavens you're awake. How do you feel?"

"I'd feel a lot better if you'd have prevented me getting in a fight last night!" I smirk at how much trouble we would both be in for this. Brody frowns and is about to answer but the nurse comes in. She's quite pretty, blonde and probably mid-thirties so a bit too old to be my type, didn't mean I couldn't have some fun flirting with her though.

"Your Highness, we'll be taking you for an MRI now that you are awake." She says after shining a light in my eyes which hurts. My pain increases as I'm aided to stand; this was worse than doing a grueling workout for the first time.

I wince as I sit down in the wheelchair they'd provided. "Why thank you... Aimee." I charm looking up once seated, glancing at her name tag and grinning boyishly when she blushes. Works every time. Brody looks horrified, I merely roll my eyes at his expression; I don't understand why he still reacts that way, I mean this behavior was standard for me at this point.

Brody walks broodingly alongside me as I'm pushed through the hospital, I wink and flash my best smile at a couple of cute nurses along the way. As I open my mouth to ask him what happened last night, words fail me, and I'm left gob-smacked when I see the most gorgeous dark-haired girl on the phone in the waiting room. From the glimpse at her black pencil skirt, blouse and heels, she must be one of the doctors. I turn to try and get a better glance, but I'm wheeled to the end of the corridor and into the MRI room. I pray she's my doctor! She seemed so familiar...

Impatiently I wait to be wheeled back to my room so we could pass the waiting room, I really wanted to see that gorgeous doctor again. I'm left disappointed though because when we pass the waiting room, she's gone. I answer all the nurse's questions, while my mind is elsewhere, trying to make sense of everything. Dad was going to be so pissed with me if he found out I went out last night, got in a fight and ended up in hospital. I shudder at the prospect; his patience was already wearing thin with me. He just didn't understand how lonely I felt sometimes, as the oldest and next in line to the throne, watching Dad and Mum, and the Maxim and Sophia together with the knowledge that that was what I was waiting for.

It was exhausting just to think about, and I lay back in bed, tired already. Brody hadn't re-entered the room with me, instead choosing to go and find the doctor. I must've fallen asleep for a while as I'm woken some time later to voices outside my room and then the door opening. Brody enters frowning, followed by a doctor in a white coat and, my heart skips a beat, by the dark-haired goddess I'd spotted earlier. She remains by the door, the doctor comes to stand in front of me, blocking her from me. I'm filled with disappointment that she's not my doctor like I initially thought but at least she was here, whoever or whatever she was. Ignoring the doctor, I lean around him until I can see her again, "Hi," I say flashing her my best and most seductive smile. Upon seeing the pain that I'm exerting trying to look past him, the doctor wisely moved so I don't have to strain and I'm looking right at her again. Sweet heaven, she was perfect - I subtly adjust my sheets so my attraction to her isn't so obvious. She seemed so familiar and it was killing me not remembering where I knew her from. She gives me a small smile that doesn't reach her eye but doesn't reply, her gaze returning to the doctor trying to get my attention. Damn it, I wish he would let me just talk to her - surely whatever he wanted could wait. I mean I wasn't exactly dying right now, was I?

I deliberately continue to ignore the doctor. Brody made his disapproval at my apparent rudeness evident, while my attention remains fixed on the stunner by the door, "So what's your name gorgeous? Mine's Kellen. Prince Kellen Natheal at your service." Her gaze returns to me as everything in the room stills, Brody's alarmed expression I can see out the corner of my eye alongside the doctors increased concern. I must've said the wrong thing because something about the girl's subtle stiffening of posture and the almost unnoticeable fall in her mouth give me the impression I'd upset her somehow. My stomach drops, I didn't want to upset her! I wanted to make her smile!

"You don't know who I am?" She asks softly and quietly, but the bated breath of the doctor and Brody make the room silent enough that I could probably have heard a penny drop. The tension of the of her question has me slumping back into my bed, thinking hard about where I could've met her... I didn't want anything I said to upset her again. The answer suddenly dawned on me, and I feel gutted.

"Oh. You must be the girlfriend of the guy I got into a fight with last night. I am really sorry about the fight, I probably didn't start it, but I should've known better. I won't apologize for flirting with you though if that's what caused it, no offense but you're stunning and deserve every attention paid to you." I shrug. I find her expression at my words hard to decipher, just as she parts those incredible lips of hers to answer, the doctor cuts in and once again blocks my view of her. I'm going to put this guy in the bed I'm right now, if he won't stop doing that.

"Your Royal Highness, please..." Behind him, I hear the door open and close and when he's moved enough for me to see past him again, the girl is gone. Too annoyed that the gorgeous girl is gone, from that point on I phase out of the conversation, no longer interested in what was happening since what I was interested in had left the room. In the background, I'm aware of the doctor talking about 'brain-swelling' and 'amnesia' but I'm too disappointed that the stunner had a boyfriend and that I'd upset her to care about anything else.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Although its better late than never, I'm sorry that it took so long.

VOTES & COMMENTS please guys.

All of your comments keep me motivated! Much Love <3