Part II: The Huntress in the Night

It had been twenty years since I had journeyed to the west to find the doppelganger and stop the Sisters of the Agiel from acquiring her. However, I had yet to find a trace of her. But then my objective changed because the necklace enchanted by the three sisters finally glowed. One of them, or all of them even, had finally been reborn.

Luckily for me, It told me I was on the right continent, they had been reborn close by. I decided to forget the doppelganger, finding them was more important. 

This continent was full of wolves, but the witches weren't many. I only had to either avoid them on the full moons or just plan a full out hunt. But I had yet to find any of the Mord-sith or any Travelers for that matter.

I was hiking through the woods, planing on hunting something to eat while following the general direction the magical necklace was pointing towards when I heard a child crying. I stopped in my tracks for a few seconds, before shifting my direction.

I carefully followed the sound until I found a small child crying underneath a large tree. It was wintertime, no child should be alone in this cold weather. I silently walked towards the child and without him seeing me I took out my furs and covered his shoulders. 

The child literally jumped, surprised, and turned his head quickly to see who it was. 

"Who are you?" The small boy asked, shocked at the strange woman that appeared next to him dressed in red leather. 

"No one, who are you?" I replied, giving the child a warm smile. It had been a while since I had talked with a child, but I did help the Amnell sisters raise their children. I was basically their godmother, I was forced to grow fond of children and I learned to act more like a human (according to Karin at least).

"Why should I tell you mine if you do not tell me yours?" The little boy replied, pouting slightly as he grabbed the furs I had put over his shoulders, getting warmer. 

I glanced at him amused and replied. "Good enough. Why are shedding tears then?"

He hid his face in the furs and whispered. "I was not allowed to go hunt with my brothers today, I am too weak. Why are you here?"

"I am hunting, I need to eat after all." I replied with a smirk. I was quite proud of my hunting skills, I had been feeding myself for five centuries.

"Are you strong?" The boy asked. "You can hunt on your own? Father says women are weak, and they cannot hunt." 

"Your father has obviously never met me, darling." I replied after rolling my eyes. "You know, once upon a time when I was about your age I was the weakest in the whole village. I was too kind, I was too nice and it had terrible consequences. But I grew strong with time. You can be strong, as long as you put your mind to it."

The boy looked at me with wide eyes, impressed, and got closer. "How did you get strong?"

"Sacrifice." I replied in a heavy tone, to be a Mord-Sith you must sacrifice all that makes you human after all. "But let me tell you, it wasn't easy. Because sacrifices always have consequences."

"I just wish he did not hate me." The boy whispered to himself, but with my supernatural hearing, I still caught it. "What kind of sacrifice?" He finally asked, curious. 

"Depends on the person and what kind of strength you want to have, but if you want to sacrifice you must beware that there is no turning back. You shall never be the same, and you shall have to embrace who you become- the good and the bad." I replied, thinking about how I had changed. My family was sacrificed for my power, I could not even remember their faces anymore but I did remember their screams.