Epilogue - Anemone

Long ago, there was a kingdom along the western coastline called Bakersfield.

For years, former King Henry Miller had caused the town to lose the liveliness that once brought so much charm to the kingdom, placing unreasonably strict curfews and rules into place.

However, he had been found guilty of crimes against the people of his town, and was promptly executed, despite his threats and promises of return. The executioner had had enough of him, and ordered the guillotine to be used immediately to "silence the fool".

Since then, his last living son, Dave Miller, had taken his place as the king, and the town once again saw color.

"Jack, you've been in here for thirty minutes."

The voice of his brother, Peter Kennedy, broke the former peasant Jack Kennedy out of his trance.

After a long, painful recovery from the torture Henry had put him through, one that was still yet to be fully completed, he and the new king, Dave Miller, had made their relationship official to the rest of the kingdom. Surprisingly, they were accepted, with only a few snide looks and the occasional insult thrown at either of the two.

"Ah, sorry Peter," Jack chuckled, standing up from his stool. Standing by his side was his sister Dee, dressed in a puffy white gown, white socks, and black mary janes, with a chain of snowdrops sat atop her head to accompany her new mask.

"I don't think it's very appropriate to leave the king waiting on his wedding day, you know."

The words sent Jack's heart aflutter, even if he had been hearing similar phrases since they were announced to be engaged.

"I know," He looked around the room, as if the excuse he was going to use was just laying on a shelf or chair. "I just wanna make sure I look like, I don't know, I didn't half-ass my looks?"

Dee looked up at him, and even through the mask, Jack could tell she was looking at him like she could see straight through him. In all honesty, she probably could.

A second later, the door creaked open, and in stepped Charlie. Her entire demeanor had changed ever since Henry's execution, with her smiling more often and being less afraid of her mistakes.

"Mister Kennedy, sir, may I have a moment of your time?" Charlie asked, hands folded behind her back.

Jack gave Dee and Peter the look that said 'Go on without me for a while', and waved over to the vanity where he was sat. He turned back to look at himself, snorting a little at just how over the top his outfit was, in comparison to the rags he usually donned.

"How are you feeling?" Charlie asked, putting her gloved hands on his shoulders and leaning so that her cheek was against the top of his head. "Dave's probably going to faint when he sees you."

Jack laughed softly, pushing her hands away. "I'm... Fine. I think."

"I'm just making sure!" She leaned in, reaching for a little blush. "This stuff is stressful!"

Jack shrugged, lightly tugging the white collar of his suit down to scratch his neck. It baffled him how Dave could wear such overly lacey, stuffy clothing every day of his life. God only knows what sort of clothing he'd be wearing for the ceremony.

Setting the blush down, Charlie looked herself over for a moment or two, before her face fell. She sighed, and looked down at the former gardener.

"... Can I ask you a favor, Jack?"

He could hear the slightest hint of worry in her voice, but nodded, standing up after a half hour of preparations.

"... take care of him." Gently, she grabbed his hands, stroking one of his knuckles with her thumb. "I know you will, but please. Please don't hurt him."