Chapter Eleven - Love Lies Bleeding

The tavern was looking more and more barren with each passing day. Less kegs, less chairs, less flags. Even the people inside the building, although few, were beginning to grow figurative cobwebs in their heads.

Prodding at his bread with a butter knife, Dave began to reminisce over the food back at home. If there was one thing he missed about that place, it was all the meat that came with every meal. Now, here he was, sitting in front of his pathetic little breakfast of bread, cheese, a sliver of salted pork, and a small glass of rum.

Peter and Dee had eaten long before Dave got out of bed. It seemed every day he would wake up earlier, doing nothing for hours on end until he felt the need to get up and keep himself healthy enough to function properly.

He'd told the two of them that Charlie would be coming today, and she likely wouldn't be in good shape. She was the servant assigned to take care of Dave, in spite of how little Henry truly cared for him, and Dave assumed Henry wouldn't have let her off easy for letting him escape.

"Do the servants care if the food isn't to their expectations?" Peter asked, the slightest hint of disdain in his voice. Dave assumed he must have made a face to the food that Peter must have seen.

"I mean, Charlie doesn't care," He explained, nibbling at the pork. "Can't say the same for everyone else."

Peter nodded with a hum, setting out a plate in the place Dave assumed she would sit.

As per usual, the bell chimed as someone entered the building, and Dave turned in his seat to see Charlie, who had been tapping at the doorway frantically, perhaps to ground herself.

"Ah, your highness, there you are," It sounded like she hadn't slept since Dave last saw her, and she definitely looked the part. "... What am I talking about, of course you'd be here."

Charlie sat down at the stool next to Dave and slumped down, arms spread out in front of her as she let out a long, drawn out grown, filled with the pent up anger and stress she'd probably been wanting to let out for god knows how long.

"I needed to get out of there so bad," Upon closer inspection, it looked like all the life had faded from her once vibrant eyes, alongside eyebags that were way too low to be considered healthy. "These townsfolk have nice air, don't they William?"

Dave nodded, not knowing what to say in response, and took another sip of his rum.

Charlie immediately felt a little awkward. After all, she was here to discuss Jack's safety, not to chat with an old friend so casually in spite of the elephant in the room.

"I'll... I'll have some red wine, then." She set her head in one of her hands, rapidly tapping at the wood with the other.

Peter gave her a confused look. "Ma'am, we don't serve wine."

Charlie groaned again, but nodded.

"J-Just get me some water, then. Please."

Peter nodded, and gestured for Dee to go to one of the few cabinets that still contained various foods and drinks.

"... anyways," She began, grabbing the glass Dee had given her. "I can't remember the last time I saw Henry so... excited. It's creepy as hell. It's like he wants you back, like he has something waiting for you... I wouldn't put it past him to give you Jack's heart, or something like that."

The thought made Dave's minimal breakfast begin to stir in his stomach.

"Now, do you have any ideas about how you're gonna get out of here?"

Dave put a finger to his chin, leaning on the bar. In all honesty, he hadn't put much thought into a plan, as much as he should have.

"Well, I thought maybe we could go back to the castle, get Jack, then we go..." He started, voice trailing off. "... somewhere. I haven't put much thought into that part."