Freedom

This was the moment I was waiting for the moment I have wanted my whole life. To be free of chains of conformity. I knew there was no going back after this after I wrote that letter and my mother, brother, and step-father would lock me up forever in my room and let me have no freedom what so ever. Then marry me off to a prince of some foreign land that I did not want to go to. As I got to the palace walls I realized that I had to go in disguise and not let any palace guards see me for if they did they would surely take me back to my step-father.

        I didn't want that knowing how far I have come just to taste, smell, and see the sight of freedom. I very slowly made my way to the market trying to find clothing fit for a peasant and not one of granduer status. I knew I that was my only chance to blend in to the packs of people in the market. I noticed the same merchant who was selling at the same stand when I was very little. I decided to approach him. I knew that I would just look for I couldn't spend my money on jewelry otherwise I would attract attention.

        I caught his attention since I was the only person at his stand, "What is an attractive, young woman doing out in the market all by herself to give me a humble, old merchant the satisfaction of company?" he asked. How he knew I was going to keep him company for a little while was beyond my imagination. "I saw how beautiful your stand looked and I decided to come over and look," I said.

        "Ahh, we both know that is a lie you have come to see what I have done with the stand since you were last here my princess," he said emphasising my title. I didn't know how he knew but I knew one thing that he was really clever. Perhaps too clever for his own good. "My, my, my how the years can change people into beautiful creatures," he said complimenting me. I didn't know the meaing behind why he was speaking in riddles but I knew that I had to ask him one question. "Sir, if you know I'm the princess then do you perhaps know about the prophecy foretold about me?" I curiously asked.

        "Of course, I know about the prophecy. I am the one who told the queen about the prophecy personally, my dear," he said chuckling. As if there was some kind of secret he knew that no one else knew about. He began to speak again;

"When the sun strike's dawn,"

"The night comes to haunt a child,"

"She will be of the sky and of suri,"

"But only knowing the fury of the winds and rain,"

"She shall be the one,"

"Take her throne,"

"She shall rule and be known as a divinity,"

"But if she fails to find the satyr and the mule,"

"Her descendents will be smighted with the wrath of Zeus."

        I was so confused when he ended I knew that I finally got the prophecy but I somehow felt as if there was something more for me to ask. But, I didn't know what to ask in the end. But, something caught my eye in the end a necklace woven like a true Greco necklace and had pearls on it to give it a more sleek and elegant look. He saw me eying it and said, "For this necklace I shall give to you for free if you give me one thing in return," he said very seriously. "What is it that you want?" I asked curiously."My freedom," he said smiling. I looked at him puzzled and instantly was confused but decided to agree to his terms just to get the necklace.

        "I agree to your terms," he gently handed the necklace and I went to thank him but he was gone. I knew that that man was a strange man but he helped me in the end and I will be thankful to him for helping me with my journey in life. I continued in the market hoping to find a passage to Persia and found one. I knew that my brother would suspect that I was going to Persia but he would never know until he was king and took over Persia to see for himself. I went on the boat and realized that this was a the end of a new beginning (?) and knew that I was finally free to make my own life in this world no matter what. I will no longer be Princess Olivia of Macedonia.

I am just Olivia.