33 | inevitable

IMPORTANT NOTE (which i will be deleting later): I SERIOUSLY SUGGEST GOING BACK TO THE LAST CHAPTER TO REREAD THE FINAL PORTALS SCENE B/C SOMETHING ACCIDENTALLY GOT DELETED WHEN IT WAS PUBLISHED, AND THIS PART CHANGES... THINGS, AND I'D HATE FOR YOU TO MISS SUCH A SURPRISE - NOW ONWARD

chapter xxxiii of the death season :
" I AM INEVITABLE . "

╓───────────────────────╖
" You're not the guy
to make the sacrifice play. "
╙───────────────────────╜

january 28th, 2023
destroyed avengers compound,
new york

AND SO, THE BATTLE BEGINS .

With battle cries and no second thoughts, the Avengers and all of its armies charge as one.

Across the battlefield, Thanos dons a vicious smile when he lifts his monstrous blade, commanding his army to charge as well.

After all these years, with all of its twists and its turns, the rise and fall of heroes and villains alike, with dreams made in a cold dark cave and poetry written by hurt little girls and bedtime stories told by daughters left behind, after surviving wars but barely scraping by in the aftermath, after bloodshed, torture, and its unescapable trauma, with all the tears and the laughter and the pain, it's all been leading to this.

One more time.

One last fight.

Whatever it takes.

And then the two armies meet.

While Giant-Man slugs a monstrous Leviathan in the jaw, Drax launches himself onto a Cull currently choking the life out of Korg. Once again fighting side-by-side, Tony and Pepper blast overhead, strafing the battlefield with bright white energy. Lisa whoops as she sails behind them, taking out anyone who managed to scrape by after the first wave. Loki conjures apparitions just as he conjures spokes of ice from the earth, slashing through  all the outriders in his path. Cutting down any Chitauri in their path, Steve and Thor stay on the ground, and when both men hold out their hands, it's Stormbreaker that returns to Steve and Mjölnir to Thor who looks mortally offended.

"No, no, give me that!" Thor snaps, pointing to Stormbreaker, "You have the little one."

Bucky and Svetlana are fighting back to back, their individual weapons raised high to take out the Outriders just as they did not five years before.

"Um, Papa?" Svet yells over the sound of gunfire and screaming, "I request that we start thinking of better ways to spend our time!"

"Well, good!" Bucky calls back over his shoulder, "Because I have a plan!"

Hair suddenly standing on end, Svet whips around and then lightly hip checks him out of the way of a sudden spray of Chitauri gunfire. Frowning as if only mildly inconvenienced, Bucky turns and redirects his fire towards the oncoming horde.

"We have a date in Brooklyn, Doll, you and me! We're gonna- what the..." Bucky's eyebrows suddenly furrow when his eyes land on the gauntlet still under her arm. "Svetlana. Is that... what I think it is?"

"Oh, um... Yes?"

A bomb explodes and an Outsider screeches from beside them, making them both jump and raises their weapons.